• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Kenny's Workshop (Advice Please)

Started by Kenny, July 02, 2006, 12:49:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

glennab

Kenny, I hope you're feeling better.  I wanted to tell you that I played around with the little boy's image this evening - tried going to CMYK and looked at channels, ditto LAB.  Tried filters, effects and everything else I could come up with, and I have to agree with Harvey.  The blue channel in RGB gives you the best of what little detail you can glean from the obliterated side of his face.  I wish I could help more.

GG
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

Kenny

Glenna,

Well, you confirmed that I'm on the right track at least :P

The blue channel gives me the most information on his face, but it's also the worst looking channel for the rest of the image. It also makes his skin really blotchy. I'll give it a try later on today if I feel better.

Kenny :)

But why is the rum gone?

Kenny

Sorry I haven't been around for a couple days. Everyone here has been so sick. We're all doing a lot better now though, so worked on a project today.

I got this one a few days ago:

It's so damaged there's not much I can do with it without destroying his facial features. Here's what I've done:

Basically I just sampled part of the background and healed the whole thing with it. I realize there is something above his head, but it's so destroyed I felt like it was best to just have a nice clean background and focus on the gentleman.

His face is so faded I felt it would be easy to destroy what was there, so I just cleaned it up a little and fixed the damage on the clothes.

I would have liked to bring out more detail, but it simply wasn't there to bring out no matter how I tried. I think it looks pretty good, though. The owner will be able to recognize him and it's not so damaged anymore.

Comments and criticisms are welcomed, as usual  :loveit:

But why is the rum gone?

Ausimax

Hi Kenny,

Nice job, can't see that you could have got any more out of that one, any work you did on the face would have destroyed any detail, only suggestion I can make, is that as there is no background detail maybe a crop off the top, a little closer to his head, may improve it.

Keep up the good work, you are performing wonders.

Max
Wisdom is having a well considered opinion .... and being smart enough to keep it to yourself!     MJS

"Life" is what happens while you are planning other things!

Kenny

Thanks, Max. I don't know about performing wonders, though. Lately it's more like plodding along while fighting an uphill battle  ;D.

I thought about the crop. I think I'll do that. It'll help frame him better.

Thanks  :loveit:

But why is the rum gone?

Kenny

Here it is with the crop:

What do you think?

Kenny

But why is the rum gone?

glennab

Hi Kenny

I love what you did with this one.  The crop is perfect, and I think it's very appropriate that he looks so ethereal.

GG
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

Ausimax

Hi Kenny.

Looks good with the crop, actually the whole thing looks good, has that dreamy quality to it, and he looks as though he is looking up and communicating in thought with a higher authority. This is a perfect example of knowing when to stop, something I think I have yet to learn.

Max
Wisdom is having a well considered opinion .... and being smart enough to keep it to yourself!     MJS

Kenny

Now, back to the one that's been kicking my butt. I keep working on the face. It gets that painted look so I use the ol' sandwich routine, it gets better, I restore some more...rinse, lather, repeat.

Here it is in it's current state:

Once I get the face done, it'll be downhill coasting on the rest.

I'm still plugging along, slowly but surely.

As usual, comments and criticisms are most welcome.

But why is the rum gone?

Kenny

I'm throwing this one back in the pile. The face is so damged :(

Hopefully, one of you with better drawing talents can fix it.

But why is the rum gone?

Ausimax

Hi Kenny,

You have my condolences, I know how hard it is to have to give up when you have invested so much of yourself in the restoration, not just time and effort.
This falls into the category of those I feel should not have been accepted, had you a team of professional restorers it would be one thing, when you are depending mainly on the efforts of enthusiastic amateur volunteers it is another. Hopefully, come the new year we will have a new batch and be able to choose photos more suited to our individual abilities, in the mean time have a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year, get rested up and come out swinging next year.

Max