• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

OPR in news again.

Started by Tess (Tassie D), October 05, 2007, 09:03:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tess (Tassie D)

Our local paper did a story on OPR, it was not my idea.  ::) So here I am in all my unmake-upped glory. He over simplified the work a bit but overall got it pretty right except for the photos arriving at OPR. They don't put much local content in the online edition so I scanned it in. Hubby bought 2 papers just in case i decided to destroy the evidence.  >:D

Tess Cameron
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Ausimax

Media Hog!!!  ;D  Nice one Tess at least you got OPR a mention, its pretty hard to drum up interest in the media out here.

I contacted the local paper in Innisfail (twice) after Cyclone Larry to see if they could do something in that area that we may be able to help the people there - No answer (twice).

In the week leading up to the first Anniversary of "Larry" when every Radio/TV station in Qld was running retrospectives, I wrote to ABC Cairns and Townsville, informing them of what we do and how we may be able to help, I also wrote to 2 Photographic Societies/Camera Clubs in Cairns and one in Innisfail itself.

I received one reply from the Cairns Photographic Society, saying they would discuss it at their next meeting, they either don't have many meetings, or they were not interested. From the ABC not a word of reply.

Talk about trying to push loose, brown matter up hill.

Max
Wisdom is having a well considered opinion .... and being smart enough to keep it to yourself!     MJS

"Life" is what happens while you are planning other things!

glennab

Wow, Tess, that's great!  OPR gets more press, and you get kudos for helping people on the other side of the world (I know that's not why you do it, but you still deserve appreciation for your work!)  A decent article, and a good photo of you.  I feel as if I know you a little better.  How did the reporter find out about OPR?

YOU GO GIRL!

Hugs,

Glenna

P.S. Max, I feel your pain!  I've contacted every media outlet I can think of and haven't had a bite yet.  I think I'm going to try NPR again.  OPR deserves a "Driveway Moment!"
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

cmpentecost

Hey Tess,

Awesome job!  It appears to be a very nice article, and it's so nice to see you referred to as "Mrs. Cameron" instead of "Cameron", as they do in the States.  Thanks for going to the extra effort to help get the media to focus on OPR.

Christine

Mhayes

Way to go Tess!  :up:  That was really a nice article and should generate some interest. Some times I think getting the chance to help others in a disaster area is like the rolling of the dice. You may or may not get lucky. In Kansas, after the tornado in Greensburg there was an offer of help but no takers. When I approached Coffeyville, they were enthusiastic, but my approach was indirect. I had first contacted the local Chamber of Commerce and was told to contact the director of the public library. At first I wondered if I was getting the run around, however the response from the librarian was positive. Another thing that I was concerned about was whether they would think I was legit. So I explained to Helen what OPR was about and gave her the web address to check us out. I didn't want to pressure her over the phone before she had a chance to get a better picture of our organization. She took my phone number and said she would call me back. She called the next day and was very impressed with what she had read on the Web and offered the use of the library's conference room. She also posted flyers that I brought down, as well as contacting the radio station and the Journal. Some things work out great, others fell flat! I had maintained contact with a reporter for the Wichita Eagle. He told me about two weeks before our copy run that he wanted to do a story. Unfortunately he never showed up. We did get coverage in the Coffeyville Journal and a picture in the Independence Reporter. On the last day of the run, I got a call from the Kansas City Star wanting information about our run and wishing that they had known about it sooner. Maybe a sure bet to get some publicity is to take hostages and then pass out our flyers--okay bad idea!

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Ratz

Well done Tess!!
It's great to see some media in OZ :up:

Tess (Tassie D)

Thanks everyone. I would have preferred me as the little pic and a restore as the large one, I can hide better then.
Glenna the lady I do some website design work for just happens to be president of the local chamber of Commerce. I didn't know that until after I showed her what we were all doing. She said it was a great human interest story as well as a positive one about the internet for a change. So I got snowballed into it but I don't mind if it helps the cause.
Tess Cameron
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

rockthumper

Very well done Tess.  :up:
A great article and nice photo.
Compared to a lot of articles I've seen in local newspapers that one is 100% accurate. (I'm assuming they got your name right!).

Hannie

Goodonya Tess!  Great article and very nice photo of you!

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Dave

Tess,

Thanks for sharing the article. We have four new volunteers from Australia because of it.

Dave
Dave Ellis
OPR Founder
[email protected]

sanbie

Thats an awesome pic of you Tess...looks really professional with you sitting there...great article also and so glad to hear we got more volunteers out of it!

Sanbie
paintshop pro X1

glennab

Wow!

That's great news.  We can never have too many Aussies!  You upside-down folks are the greatest.

Glenna
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

Dave

OPR is also in the news in Oklahoma. I received a Google Alert this morning: http://www.kotv.com/news/local/story/?id=137453

For some reason, I can't view the video though.

Dave
Dave Ellis
OPR Founder
[email protected]

Hannie

Thanks for sharing Dave!
It is a 36 sec. video and basically says what was written in the article.

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

phischer

Nice Tess.
Do you do all your restorations on that little tiny laptop?! :wow: