• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Unlock on a mac

Started by kiska, September 10, 2007, 08:45:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kiska

How do I unlock this so I can delete it? It's in a Media Player folder. I have a macpro. Thanks.

http://upload.pbase.com/image/85365922

kiska
Photoshop 2021, MacPro

glennab

Hi Kiska

Do you have Media Player active?  I've found that sometimes you have to deactivate the software from which the file originated or in which it was last used in order to delete it.  Here's my usual procedure when this happens (and it does infrequently):  First I "get info" on the file to see if the file is locked. If it is, I unlock it.  If it isn't, I deactivate the originating software.  If that doesn't allow me to empty the trash, I deactivate all software and that usually allows me to delete the file.  Last resort is to restart.  So far that's always worked on a stubborn file.

Ain't technology great!?

Let me know if any of this works.

Glenna
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

kiska

Thanks Glenna. Went to mac Help (duh). Hold down 'option' as you click 'empty trash'.
kiska
Photoshop 2021, MacPro

glennab

Kiska -- I'd completely forgotten that trick.  Haven't used it in a long time, because I've found that in many cases it doesn't work with the newer Macs.  Glad it did this time.

Glenna
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)