• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Latest struggle

Started by Ausimax, August 25, 2007, 04:57:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ausimax

Hi Folks,

This is my latest cause of angst, don't know how many restarts I have made with this one, it looks fairly straight forward but it has not been very cooperative for me.

Still not too happy with it but I just can't seem to improve it, must be getting stale I think, give me your thoughts please.

Max
Wisdom is having a well considered opinion .... and being smart enough to keep it to yourself!     MJS

"Life" is what happens while you are planning other things!

Hannie

Hi Max,

Great job you have done! 
I tried to make it a little less painted looking by applying a 8% blur all over and a 30% blur on the sharp outlines.  I also used a little burn tool to add some shadow here and there to make things more rounded.  (I did it quickly so it is a bit sloppy).  Maybe the the background layer could have just the slightest gradiant or backlight to give it some depth?

Hannie

Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

klassylady25

I do know how many starts you've made with this one.  I had the mother and father only!   It's was one of the hardest to work with and almost impossible to NOT make it look painted.  You've both done a very good job. Maybe the link will give you hints.   

See link:  http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne?id=715674682&size=o&context=set-72157600642709850

Tess (Tassie D)

It's a tough one Max. You've done a great job. :up: I think the little guy on Mums lap has a bit more hair as I don't think you can see that side of the mothers neck in the original.
Tess Cameron
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Ausimax

Hi Hannie,

Thanks for your help, I hadn't used blur on it because I was worried that it seemed to have lost its sharpness, though what you have done seems OK, I'm not sure about the background, I have tried several, radial gradient, clouds and such, have even thought of leaving the original damaged background, the present one is the original cloned over, I didn't use shadows as I couldn't find any on the original background, they have cast shadows on each other but I think the background was back-lit.

Candy, I remember you doing the other photo now, thought I had seen them before, strange the lady is wearing a pendant in yours but I can find no trace of it in my original, maybe took it off to avoid the little one grasping it?

Tess, yes she has neck visible on that side just a lot of damage in that area, I'm not sure I haven't given him too much hair that side, it looks a bit unbalanced to me, will have a look as I work through it again.

Thank you all for your ideas and help, different eyes are a big help at times, you have looked at the damaged image and your image so often you loose all sense of objectivity at times.

Max

Wisdom is having a well considered opinion .... and being smart enough to keep it to yourself!     MJS

klassylady25

I think that there's a good possibility that we simply can't see it because of the little one on the lap, too.  Also know that I take off my jewelry when with my grandboy at times, too. 

You're very welcome Max.  It's coming along well considering the damage.  We both know the little lines that the others aren't seeing!!  Can you say  :wow:

Hannie

Hi Max,

I had another go at at your project, hope you don't mind...
You are right about the background, it is very hard to get the depth back in there!  Only thing I can think of for that is perhaps to render some very faint lighting effects on the background layer.
I also cloned the right side of the little boys mouth for the missing left part.  Burned the lady's teeth towards the back so they seem less flat.  Applied more shadows (burn) and blurring.

Hannie

Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

kiska

kiska
Photoshop 2021, MacPro

Mhayes

Hi Max,

Great job! What a mess this must have been to work on. The only thing that I would change is the gray area above his nose and between the eyebrows. It makes it look like a reflection through a glass.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Ausimax

Hi Gang,

This is about the final take, I think I have just about committed enough GBH on this family for now, so unless you see something that needs attention it will get sent home.

Max

klassylady25

What do you think about putting your first picture over this one at a lower opacity to bring back some of the texture to the background?

Candy

kstruve

Hi Max!

The first thing that jumps out at me is that the detail on the people is just a little bit too crisp.  I would try something like Hannie suggests to blur it slightly to soften the details.  The other thing that stands out is, like Candice mentioned, the background is too flat.  Also I think the sandstone texture isn't right.  Add some variation to it.  The people could use a little more shading - they are looking a little flat and cut-out looking.  Here's a quick mock up of what I'm suggesting.  Looking good, Max!

Kurt

Ausimax

Thanks Candy & Kurt,

Actually I had used a blur, then went back and did a rework and forgot to apply it to the new file. Your rework certainly improves it Kurt, have tried various backgrounds, gradients, radial gradients with and without clouds, nothing seemed to please, I think you just end up getting a mental block after you spend a lot of time on some of these, nothing you do seems to look right.

Will try and reproduce what Kurt did and see how that goes, thanks to everybody for their help.

Max

pcraft

I agree the blur and shading Kurt applied, helps the restoration, along with the background work.  But I think the eyes should hold some of the sharpness that was there previous..  1 other thing I'd do is select the teeth of the Mom and boy and Image/Adjustments/Hue/Saturation and tone down the reds on the teeth..

Regards
Robert