• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

The Biloxi Beacon

Started by glennab, August 24, 2007, 11:18:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

glennab

Hi Guys

Chris, don't be defensive about your stolen wine statement.  If you recall (or maybe you don't, because that was at the end of the run and we were all drop-dead tired!) certain unnamed gentlemen at the dinner table were the ones who ragged on you about exactly where the wine went!

All the quotes are genuine.  As Dave Barry says, "I'm not making this up!"  Chris owned up to the remark about the wine, but I plead the 5th on any of the others.

Here's a shot of your historian taken by Ed Linn (our surgical photographer and staunch copy man - one of the sweetest guys in the world).  I wanted you to see what a foxy young chick I REALLY am.  This was during a rare lull, and I was busily recording the day in my journal.  In the background is Val Horvath from Shreveport, a someday-to-be-famous photojournalist and wonderful team mate.

Glenna
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

klassylady25

You'll always be beautiful and young Glenna!! Now if we could only get our bodies to agree with our minds. Want you to know that I've thoroughly enjoyed reading your posts!  We are blessed to have such a verbose young woman amidst us.  ;) 

And I wonder if Val has ever heard of Trinity Heights Academy.  I graduated in '73.  Paul Harvey was our commencment speaker.  I also was a classmate to Jim Barnwell, whose family was a big part of Shreveport.  Jim was a great chemistry partner.  WE did not blow up the lab but we could have and thought about it.  lol 

kiska

kiska
Photoshop 2021, MacPro

Dave

I making a mental note to make sure Kiska and Margie attend the next copy-run.
Dave Ellis
OPR Founder
[email protected]

Mhayes

Kisha,

I love what you have done! However, the "Margie started it," sounds like a tattletale trying to deflect guilt. Reminds me of when I was around five and my cousin and I got into Mom's lipstick. I rushed off to tattle on her, unfortunately, I forgot to wipe the lipstick off my own face.

Glenna—nice picture.

Dave, be careful for what you wish for.  :)

Margie 
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

jneil2

Glenna,

Again, how did you include that photo of yourself in your post?  I have another one of you that is much better, and I think people would love to see it...

Loved the quotes, by the way.  Especially Chris' indignant remark about the maid drinking her wine!!!

Jan

sanbie

I knew that was you Glenna..because in one of the photos you are sitting writing in your journal!!

You take an awesome photo..not like me ...I loathe how I always look in photos!!

SAnbie
paintshop pro X1

cmpentecost

See....I even got a photo of the thief!!!

Chris

cmpentecost

I just saw this article posted on the CNN website, comparing New Orleans and Biloxi.  ~  Christine

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/08/29/katrina.twocities/index.html

schen

Shujen Chen
Windows 10, Photoshop CS6

Tess (Tassie D)

Oh no, not the vignette.

Aha, the guilty party Christine, no wonder she's smiling with all that wine to sample.
Great pic of you Glenna and I remember you in some from the other article. Werent you in the film clip too? I can't find the link to that one.
Tess Cameron
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

glennab

Hi.  Your historian here again.  Thanks for the kind words about the photos of me.  What's horrifying is that I've morphed into my grandmother!  Good grief -- I'm still 30 in my mind.

Chen, your "painting" of Dave, including vignette, is priceless!  So appropriate!

Jan, if you can dig up a photo of me that looks good, I'll love you even more than I do already!

I upload my images to Photo Bucket.  It's very easy to sign up; then all you have to do is log in, go to your gallery and browse your computer until you have the file you want and upload it.  The site walks you through it. You'll see the image in your gallery, and below the photo will be several addresses.  If you copy the last one and paste it into your post, the photo should show.  It won't appear until you actually post.  As you're writing, you'll just see the address.

I'm going to give you a few paragraphs from my journal.

As a preface you might be interested to know that as I was going through my notes, I realized I had commented several times that the folks who brought in their photos were as fascinated by the restoration process as you are of our interaction with them.  Many thought we were going to keep their photos and somehow heal them and return them intact.  Many were distraught over small smears and smudges that will take minutes to clone out and had a difficult time believing that we could "fix" the photos that easily.  I can't tell you how many times our comment that the restoration would be "no problem" was met with amazement and delight.

Here are a few more "snippets" from the 24th:

"The room has become  place of reunion – people seeing each other for the first time in several years.  Wonderful to witness."

"It took about an hour to cut and carefully pry apart her photos and decide which to keep, which to restore, and, sadly, which we couldn't help her regain.  She gave us a donation."

"Several people have left in tears. It's emotional for them that many – actually most – of their photos are salvageable.  Their expressions of gratitude are moving beyond words..."

"I brought the Katrina bracelets with me – and most of the volunteers are wearing them.  Glad I thought of that." (I'd purchased them as a donation to the Katrina rescue cause when I bought Marc Broussard's first CD.  I hoped I'd eventually find someone who cared enough to wear one!  You know the rest of the story!)

"We've had to limit people to 20 photos because of the load on the photographers and the number of people bringing in boxes of photos."

"Backs are beginning to feel the strain.  Mine is on fire.  I can't imagine how the copy troops are feeling.  They're bent over a camera on a stand – sitting or kneeling – photos on the floor or boxes."

"We've had donations of cash, checks, food and a pair of needle-nose pliers."

"It's so affecting to see this precious evidence of people's history. There's a delicacy involved in delving into their lives.  Is it appropriate to comment on the beautiful babies, handsome great-grandfathers?"

There's more from our last day, but I'll save that for another time.

Lon tells me that I'm suffering from a mild case of PTSD.  So many things seem petty right now.  I miss terribly the camaraderie of the Biloxi team. I was spot on when I told Lon that the people I work with would be pretty much uncaring other than to ask the obligatory "how was the trip?"  I've cried all the way to work every day this week.  So much intense emotion is still under the surface with little outlet.  Thanks for putting up with my using the forum as one.  It so bothers me that most people are indifferent to the suffering of others.  You're all exceptions, and your response to our going on the run and reaction to our descriptions are as gratifying as having gone to Biloxi in the first place. I've said it before, but I have to say it again.  You all give me hope!

Bless,

Glenna

What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

Tess (Tassie D)

Thanks for the next installment on the Biloxi run Glenna. I reckon Lon may be right about the PTSD, it must have been very emotional. If I ever can afford it I'd be on a plane for a chance to go and meet the people we are helping.
Tess Cameron
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Mhayes

After seeing the improvements that Kista and Schen made; I started thinking that perhaps we need an OPR Christmas card?

Chris, I love the maid picture but how are we to know that it was the maid, especially after the: "What happens in Biloxi stays in Biloxi."

Glenna I love hearing what went on during the trip. I often wondered if people thought OPR would take their pictures and work the restoration on the picture itself.

"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

cmpentecost

He still needs the OPR tattoo.

Chris