• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Article on photo restoration in NY Times

Started by cmpentecost, August 13, 2007, 01:12:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

phischer

Quote from: John on August 14, 2007, 11:09:06 PM
not sure if you checked out the phojoe site's restoration gallery... some are pretty good.. others... ehhh..

http://phojoe.com/Restoration.html

I think the age progression/regression gallery is pretty creepy. I'm not too sure how I feel about people who've lost a child paying to get a picture of what their child would've looked like. I guess it's something that parents may always think about, but the idea that someone is making money off of that is a little troubling to me. Regular price $199, but act now, the $99 sale only lasts until the 20th!

And some of those baby regression photos are just laughable.

glennab

Kerry, you're wise to want to spend as much time with your kids as you can.  My "baby" boy is 38, and it doesn't seem that long ago that he was just a little guy.  I saw a woman and little boy in a car behind me in my rear view mirror this morning and got a lump in my throat, because they were chatting up a storm, which is what Kevin and I always did.  We still do when we get the chance.

Your huge project sounds awesome!  Not only does the restoration sound fascinating, your work will be around for a very long time.  And I'd wager you'll get more business than you can handle because of your accomplishment.  I'd be very proud!  I'd love to see a photo of the monument.  When is it expected to be complete?

The restorations-for-chiropractic business is great.  I didn't realize it, but when I fell about 13 years ago and fractured my back, I also messed up my neck.  Have been having horrendous headaches for years.  This miracle woman chiropractor is turning me into a new person.  No more missed weekends spent drugged up because of severe head pain, better posture, just a general feeling of well-being.  Amazing stuff.  Hubby's been going to her partner for over 30 years because of severe injuries from a chopper crash in Viet Nam, and he swears that his chiropractor is the only reason he's still ambulatory.  Now I can believe it!

John -- I checked out the phojoe web site, and I totally agree that some of the restorations are gorgeous and some are just so-so.  What it brings home is how the slightest deviation in shape or shading can completely change a person's looks.  I'm experiencing this as I work on our restorations, but it's comforting, in a way, to know that even the "pros" don't always hit it right on the money.  I'm beginning to think we can compare what we do to ROCKET SCIENCE!  It's tough!  I wouldn't do it if it weren't for the huge salary and generous benefits!

G'night sweet princes and princesses!

Glenna

What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

Tess (Tassie D)

I agree some of those restorations on that site are very good. Some just look odd like the partial one of the girl in the graduation gown. I played with it out of curiosity and got a very different looking pic.
Tess Cameron
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

schen

For $39, I am tempting to send the one I am working on to Ph(ojo)e.

I also wanted to send one of my childhood pictures for age progression and compare that to me now. But I am too cheap to splurge that $99.

Shujen Chen
Windows 10, Photoshop CS6

Hannie

;D
Chen, good thing you didn't!  Imagine getting your progression picture back looking totally not like yourself, how traumatic!    ;)

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]