• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

A Note on Vignettes

Started by beckysell, August 04, 2007, 01:22:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

beckysell

Hi all,

Just an update on a new guideline for restorations.  We are now asking that vignettes not be added to photos.  The reasons for this slight change:
Vignettes are essentially crops.  While we understand that information around the edges is often times unrestorable (as most of the damage is carried around the edges), it limits what the owner can do with the photo, whereas they always have the option of buying a round-matte if they'd like. 

If we choose to crop during QC and there is a vignette on the photo, it limits what we can crop as we're then cutting the vignette. 

Vignettes are being applied differently on different photos, some better than others depending on the photo itself, and sometimes placed in awkward positions.  With so many variation possibilities of vignettes and many opinions about what is the best way, better to leave them off than try to establish a standard considering this and the other reasons. 

What I suggest if a vignette is desired is to restore the photo to the best of your ability, as you always do, and if there are parts that are too badly damaged to restore, leave them undone or also restored the best you can.  We will determine if a crop is necessary.  We still maintain the goal of returning the best product we can to the owner.

Thanks for understanding this.  We do not want you to feel like we are placing restrictions on your skills and hope you do not take it as such.  We are just establishing this as we are learning as we go too and making a change to something we're keeping track of.  It is not a problem if you have been using vignettes in the past, so please do not take this as a shot.  We are consistently impressed with the work we get back, the time you all put in, and the hearts that drive you to do so.

Let me know if you have any questions,
Becky

marge

Hey, I was gettin too hooked on vignettes anyway and those are all good reasons. Parked out here in California working on one photo at a time, I'm a bit in the dark about what happens exactly to the pictures when they get back to you all. So, those explanations are appreciated. I'm having a ball with this!
Marge

beckysell

Good question, Marge!  And one you all doing such hard work deserve to know:
Once we receive your work back, as well as the other photos from that family's group of photos, it goes through a quality control process where it is checked for proper color correction, the overall restoration, etc.  From there it is sent off to West Coast Imaging which donated the prints, they ship it back to us, the orders are packaged and sent to the families free of charge. 

Let me know if you have any other questions,

Becky

sanbie

Just a question with this...I know Tess (Tassie) and I use paintshop pro X1 and I am just wondering what the end quality result is with this compared to those who use Photoshop..or is there any difference?
Just curious as everyone I know calls paintshop pro the poor mans photoshop!!

Sanbie
paintshop pro X1

cmpentecost

Hi Sanbie,

I've never been able to tell a difference from my end, of whether someone is using PS or painter.  As long as it's a good restoration, I'm not concerned what software is used!

Christine

sanbie

That is so good to hear..Because I was worried that the end ressult may not have been as high as with photoshop...

SAnbie
paintshop pro X1