• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

The BEST PhotoShop CS2 Book?

Started by VBrestorer, June 04, 2007, 12:41:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VBrestorer

Up to this point, I've been using PhotoShop Elements version 2.0 .  It has been fine for occasional tweaks, but lacks at least a few of PhotoShop's more powerful functions (Channels and Curves are two missing capabilities in PSE2).

In the previous round of photos, I did 4 restorations using PSE2 with what I think was moderate success.

But last week I bit the bullet, pried open my wallet, and bought PhotoShop CS2.  Now I just need to figure out how to use it.  Throughout this forum, I've seen many books mentioned, usually in response to a particular feature.  What I'd like to know is what do you think is the BEST all around book on how to use PhotoShop CS2?  If you could buy just one book, what would it be?  Incidentally, I already have Katrin Eismann's book PhotoShop Restoration and Retouching -- I think it is the original version since I can't find any revision numbers on it.  It is an excellent book that helped me a lot with PSE2 and I'm sure will continue to help me with PS CS2, but isn't a general "How to use PhotoShop" guide.

So, please, let me know what you think would be your #1 pick -- PhotoShop Bible, Tips and Tricks, ... For Digital Photographers, etc. -- if you could have just one.  Thanks in advance for your advice.

Larry

kiska

For the basic 'getting around Photoshop', I refer to the Visual Quickstart Guide for Photoshop.
kiska
Photoshop 2021, MacPro

cmpentecost

Hi Larry,

I have Ben Willmore's Adobe Photoshop CS2 Studio Techniques, which I think is a great book and reference.  It's probably the first book I pull when I need to figure out how to do something in Photoshop.  I bet if you went to Amazon, you could find it at a bargain, since CS3 has now been released.

Good luck!

Christine

VBrestorer

Kiska and Christine,

Thanks for your speedy reply.

Christine -- I checked out Adobe Photoshop CS2 Studio Techniques at Amazon.com -- all reviews raved about how good it is.

Kiska -- By Visual Quickstart Guide for Photoshop do you mean Photoshop CS2 for Windows & Macintosh (Visual QuickStart Guide) by Elaine Weinmann and Peter Lourekas?

Unless I get other posts that change my mind, I think I'll add  Adobe Photoshop CS2 Studio Techniques to my Father's Day wish list ($34.65 from Amazon), and, in the mean time, check out Photoshop CS2 for Windows & Macintosh (Visual QuickStart Guide) from my local library.

Thanks again for taking the time to send me your recommendations.

Larry

glennab

Hi Larry

I'm a little late jumping in, but I wanted to add that any Photoshop book by Scott Kelby, Ben Wilmore, Deke McClelland or Jack Davis would probably be on the top of my list.  I can't think of any other names off the top of my head, but these are the gurus who are usually on the podium at the seminars and contribute to Photoshop User on a regular basis.  If I can think of anyone else, I'll post it (I'm at work right now so can't check my references.)

Good luck!

Glenna
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

kiska

Yes, Larry, that's the correct Quickstart title.
kiska
Photoshop 2021, MacPro

glennab

Hi again!  I forgot to mention that one of the series of books that has been highly recommended to me is the "Classroom in a Book" volumes by Adobe.  Glenna
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

VBrestorer

Thanks, again, Kiska, Christine, and Glenna for taking the time to provide me with your advice.

As it stands now, I'm going with my plan of a previous post on this topic.  I'm looking forward to using Adobe PhotoShop CS2 Studio Techniques soon after Father's Day this coming Sunday (if my kids took the hint!).  I scanned through it at a local Barnes and Nobles bookstore, and it looks to be chocked full of good information.

Larry

glennab

Hi Larry

I hope your kids take the hint and get your book for you.  If so, and if you think it's worthwhile, I'd like to know if you'd recommend it.  I'll add it to my wish list.

Happy Dad's Day a little early!

Glenna

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

cmpentecost

What I like about Ben Willmore's book "Adobe PhotoShop CS2 Studio Techniques" is that it explains what things are in Photoshop, and how to use them.  Ben doesn't cover any specific creative technique, or anything of significance on restorations, but how to use the many, many different tools and applications of Photoshop.  For example, if you want to use the healing brush, he tells you what all of the different buttons and options are that go along with the tool, and how to use them.

Christine

glennab

Chris & Larry

I didn't relate the book to Ben Willmore.  A while back he regularly sent tips and tricks to his subscribers (I was one) and shared much useful information.  He's gotten so busy that he doesn't have time to do that any more.  I miss his missives!  Knowing that he wrote the Studio Techniques book makes me sure I'll get it eventually.  The guy knows his stuff!

Glenna

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

RosyBijou

Hi,

There are so many wonderful books out there--(I have, and frequently use, a lot of them!), but ya know what made it all gel for me?  Taking an online course at Ed2Go... After struggling with a couple different beginner tutorial books, I thought that it couldn't hurt to give this a try.   I would look for any course with Sherry London as instructor--her teaching style really encourages participation and you really do become part of a dynamic classroom, even though you don't see anyone in real life.  (I took another course with a different instructor and didn't get nearly as much out of it as it I did with Sherry's).  Somewhere around here is a thread with other online resources so if you haven't explored that as a learning option, you might want to check it out.

I bought CS2 and started from scratch (hadn't used any of Adobe's programs) so really felt overwhelmed when I made the switch--  Now I can't imagine how I ever did it without Photoshop...  The online class was key in lifting the veil for me...

Kerry
Kerry
(aka RosyBijou)

cmpentecost

I'll ditto Ed2Go and Sherry London.  That was my very start in learning Photoshop.....about 5-6 years ago, and it was a great basis for learning the fundamentals of Photoshop.  I think the website is www.ed2go.com.

Christine

kjohnson

Glenna,

Ben's on the road. Sold his home & he's living in a luxury motor home touring the country and doing seminars around  the world. He still updates his blog now & then. www.whereisben.com  His books are A to Z nuts & bolts & too detailed to be a good bedtime story. I haven't gotten all the way thru mine yet.

As for for the question about books, I discovered our public library has quite a few Photoshop titles, including Katrins.  Here in LA you can view what books they have & reserve them online.

glennab

Keith, thanks for the update on Mr. Willmore.  I'm glad he's doing so well.  I'll check out his blog.  I just realized that I have one of his Studio Techniques books from early on about using Photoshop and Illustrator together.  May have to thumb thru it and see if I pick up anything that's still useful.  My bet is that I will.

Glenna

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)