• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Greensburg, Kansas

Started by davedawn, May 06, 2007, 04:56:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

davedawn

Well, though the galleries are currently just about empty, the devastation in Greensburg, Kansas may, sadly, fill those pages once again. I'm standing by to help.......
Photos are our link to the past, our most cherished souvenirs, and our legacy for the future

glennab

Hi DD

I thought about our project when I read that people were trying to gather up what belongings they had left, and photos were mentioned.  They had hail and rain on top of the tornadoes, so I suspect there will be many damaged photos among the wreckage.  I think the main thing is to let people know what we do, so they don't discard photos that might be salvaged.  I remember one of the volunteers mentioning that in Spike Lee's tribute to the Katrina survivors it was obvious that many people gave up on saving those precious memories.  Heartbreaking when we might have helped them.  Heaven knows it wasn't for lack of Dave and Becky's efforts!  Maybe Dave can give you some direction as to ways to help.  Bless you for wanting to do something!

Glenna
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

Ausimax

It's hard to comprehend the devastation done to Greensburg, we are used to seeing swathes cut through communities by Twisters but not as accustomed to seeing whole settlements destroyed.

At a time like this worrying about some photos seem rather trivial in the face of such disaster, yet with the passage of time those photos will be the only link with what their lives were like, what their home looked like, what they had in their homes, so hopefully there is some way to ensure that these people realise what we can do for them and take measures to preserve what photos they can.

Our hearts go out to all those who lost loved ones and those that have suffered injuries as well as those who have  lost all that they had worked and struggled to achieve in their lives.

Max

Wisdom is having a well considered opinion .... and being smart enough to keep it to yourself!     MJS

"Life" is what happens while you are planning other things!

John

I found this video of one of the tornadoes that went through Oklahoma the other day.   The power of these weather events is quite humbling. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-TCCGEEl-bM

I had the privilege of attending a presentation by Al Gore a couple of weeks ago and he's got a very compelling argument that these types of storms, and the quantity of them (60 tornadoes in the past week) is a direct result of global climate changes. 

In any event, I just sent an email to a radio show in the hopes of letting those people in Kansas know that there is a place they can turn to should they want to restore their photos.  I also just heard an interview this morning with a woman who lost her home, and the first thing she mentioned she missed most were her family photos.  So, while we may think they need time to recover, it is evident that they are already thinking about these lost memories.