• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

A Fun Project for Us!

Started by Mhayes, January 30, 2024, 07:34:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mhayes

I've gotten rusty and somethings are coming back to me and one I liked was in Katrin Eismann's book of restoration. This is a neat little trick to make your photos pop. When you are satisfied with your work and have flatten your image, duplicate the layer and go over to Channels and do a Ctrl right click on the RGB layer--that will load the luminosity--then do a Ctrl J to put it on its own layer. In the box above, change from Normal to Soft Light. That may be just what you need or you may change the Opacity.Or you may decide you like it without.

Lynna, I tried it with yours and see what you think?

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Candice

Quote from: Lynnya on February 11, 2024, 04:17:54 PMA little lighter.. I used screen on faces and then on pic as a whole then masked out the very white areas..

Beautiful!!
Candice

philbach

Here is the one I am working on.  I have lost my touch as well.  Margie's suggestion on the previous photo for example I completely forgot about that.  Oh well.

phil

Jo Ann Snover

Looks like you got all the damage. FWIW here are a couple of things I noticed

The tops of the bushes seem a little light.

Maybe a little adjustment needed on the girl's left foot - it's blending into the grass. Sometimes a very soft shading (via an adjustment layer) under the toes can help make it clearer when the detail is gone in the original.

The man's left shoe looks unusual - I don't really understand what I'm seeing. I did a search for 1940s baseball shoes and found some had two-tone designs - possibly that's why the odd colors?

The hands were quite a puzzle too - I assume both of them have gloves on their left hands? And that the fingers on top are her right hand on top of his? A little light shading to separate the hands/gloves might help.

What a lovely photo
Jo Ann

Lynnya

So much fun to be back in the saddle. Good tip Margie I'll try that.. good tips also Jo Ann.. it's great that we can post and get feedback to improve our wips. Thanks for kind comment Candy.  Looking forward to seeing your final Phil.
never giving up......learning from others as I go...

Lynnya

Margie I'm lost... gone brain dead.. I tried doing what you said and I'm not getting anywhere. Can you elaborate.. senility steps in...

Lynnya

Input please.. do we think this lady is wearing gloves.. maybe to church? has a hat.. what do you think.

philbach

Hi Lynne.  I think she has no gloves and she is holding a hat.

phil

philbach

Here is the latest from my photo.  I did darken up the bushes some and outlined her left foot and right to separate them slightly from the background.  I did nothing to the hands although the gentleman's fingertips seem to be whiter than I would expect.  perhaps it's the sun but I did not darken them.   Thanks Jo Ann

phil

Jo Ann Snover

Quote from: Lynnya on February 12, 2024, 11:11:55 AMInput please.. do we think this lady is wearing gloves.. maybe to church? has a hat.. what do you think.

I think there are no gloves - the whiter part further up her arm is a part of the damage - if you look at the arm closer to her shoulder, it's pretty close to the hand color. I see no fabric seam, folds, anything around her fingers...

The hat's pretty clear; even though she's holding the brim, it looks like there might be some other fabric object in her hand - possibly a pair of gloves?  
Jo Ann

Lynnya

Yeah.. I agree, thanks JoAnn... I think I'm going to have to bury her feet in the grass.. I think she has bare feel (the child) I could probably create some feet .. what do you think..The rest of it is pretty easy.

Jo Ann Snover

I think that the child has shoes - I made her some from Mom's shoes (cloning at a slight angle and 90% size then darkening the visible foot part as Mom was wearing tights). 

Even if she did have bare feet, making shoes is easier than making feet :)

Jo Ann

kiska

kiska
Photoshop 2021, MacPro

Lynnya

Margie has them, then we got some, then we sent em back to Margie..

Lynnya

JoAnn.. I went with no shoes.. didn't see your post. Here's what I have so far..