• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Good News--Fire Damaged Photos Coming

Started by Mhayes, August 02, 2023, 08:56:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mhayes

Hi Everyone,

I know I have depressed you all with the idea of closing shop, but if there's a current need, and we will. Hop holpefully our hard core volunteers are still up for the challenge.

I got an email today of woman whose photos were damaged in a fire. My first thoughts were they can't be restored. So I asked the woman with the non-profit who was helping her to send me some samples as to what they looked like. All of the ones she sent could be restored.

Stay tuned.

"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Hannie

Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Lynnya

never giving up......learning from others as I go...

Candice

We're here,  Margie.
Candice

Julie M.

Just happened to check the site today and saw this! I'll be checking back for that batch once it's available.

Mhayes

Will be glad when I can tell all of you that there are pictures in the gallery. Right now the owner is planning on going to her house and seeing what pictures to have copied.

Stay Tuned.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Shadow

Jo Ann Snover

I'm a bit late to all this (and still a bit in shock after reading Margie's July post) but I am absolutely ready to work on restores if the owner can get damaged pictures to us.
Jo Ann

Candice

Candice

jesterjeni

I am here!!!!! hopefully we can stay open - i just love this place!!

Mhayes

Well I thought that we would be hearing back from this person as she wanted to go through the damaged photos, but so far I have heard nothing back. At this point it is like have permission paperwork signed and taking it to FedEx or any printing place to have the photos scanned is too much work. I have only had 1 person who has done this. I'm afraid at this point I'm not a fan of waiting for cob webs to from around my computer waiting for a reply.
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Kdcintx

Before Covid, OPR went to locations hit by storms to acquire (make photos) of damaged photos for restoration. During Covid, OPR travel stopped for obvious reasons. Why hasn't OPR resumed going to locations for acquisition of damaged photos. Lack of funding, volunteers?   

Just curious. I've enjoyed being a volunteer and restoring precious memories for people.

Mhayes

Kdcintz

Well let's try this one out for size: Covid never went away! I went on a vacation this June to Canada and came back with Covid. It just isn't worth the risk every time the virus mutates. 

Going to locations is EXPENSIVE. There is the cost of airfare for those at a distance and those close can drive. There is the cost of shipping the copy stand, motel cost, and the list goes on.

And now there is the fun behind the scene with DreamHost. Every time they do a change we end up with a host of problems for our two webmasters. Sometimes is something that Dreamhost accidentally deleted. Here is the next one scheduled. New upgrade new cost. PhotoShelter annual fee of $900 for photo storage has come due. So all this piles up.

We appreciate all of you that have volunteered, but it looks like things have run it's course. And there are less volunteers with the lull of no photos to restore and that is a problem as you need to keep your experienced volunteers.

Here is from Dreamhost:

QuoteHello, Margie!

As mentioned in our previous email, we've recently made some changes to our MySQL VPS service that will impact your current MySQL VPS. Please read this email carefully to understand how these changes will affect you.

On October 5, 2023 beginning at 6am Pacific time, we will start work to modernize your DreamHost MySQL VPS, (psmysql8301):

We will move your MySQL VPS instance to newer, more powerful hardware that uses lightning-fast NVMe drives (rather than older, traditional HDDs) for storage.
    Once the move has been completed, the MySQL version will change from 5.7. to MySQL 8.
    Your pricing will change as we migrate your account to a current VPS pricing tier.
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Tori803

Another thing to note is that we need local cooperation to do a copy run. Usually we receive a request from a flood damaged community and then they help organize a location to use and local volunteers to help.

Since Covid-19 began, there has been an overall change in how people at large are behaving with regards to community involvement and dealing with crowds. Even without mask mandates many people prefer social distancing, etc.

Also there have been fewer requests for help. I think more and more people are aware of the need to back up their photos electronically, hence have less need of a copy run. And more and more people (even the elderly) are using computers more fully in their lives. So they are more comfortable with seeking their own digital solutions.
Tori
"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence." -Calvin Coolidge

Candice

Perhaps it is time to close the doors, Margie.  It seems no one really needs this kind of help any more and people, over time have become voluntary shut-ins for various reasons. Not to mention it is expensive to travel and being hosted always brings on the possibility of health issues that might or might not happen. Perception is everything.

Is there any record of how many pictures we as individual members have done for OPR? I've got folders full of restorations.  I'm curious since I'm one of the old timers.  Have been here when the call went out in DP Review and your doors opened soon after.

Curious Candy

Candice