• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Hat question (posted two times by accident) computer glich

Started by Lynnya, April 15, 2022, 11:31:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lynnya

Good morning all!  I'm starting work on this image and need some input please.  I'm seeing three different style hats.  On the left (screen) it looks to me like a turned back cloche/flapper type (no brim) angling down towards the ear.  The middle is clear enough. On the right it looks to me like a soft larger brimmed woven type of hat. Like a bucket hat with a soft brim. These hats I've attached are different I know but you get the idea..

The thing is... DH seems to think they are all wearing the same style of hat in different ways.. I totally disagree with him but would like to know what you see.  All the hats seem to have flowers on them. Maybe the owner can tell us.

never giving up......learning from others as I go...

Shadow

Looks like three different styles to me also. Good luck!

Jo Ann Snover

I think DH is wrong - three different styles is what I see. Brims center and right are definitely not the same design.

I don't think either of the hats you posted are what they're wearing - I saw the long pearls and thought 1920s but the dresses are clearly not 1920s so I don't think  there's a cloche hat. I definitely see the wavy - but very small - brim on the woman on the right..

I drew some outlines over the other two women - partly based on what I saw, and then filling in a few edges that "must be" given these have to connect. I think these are quite small and simple hats with some similar decorations (flowers) but three different styles. It almost looks like a fancy dress party hat, not something from a hat shop, but that's only a thought because the center woman's hat looked like white straw with a very rough edge at the front, underneath the brim.

I think there's some bleeding of flowery colors on the front of the hat of the woman on the right, but possibly you could stick a flower up front in case there was something there?

Edited to add that I looked until my brain shut off with hat overload - I'm just not seeing anything similar :(  I'll look some more to see if I can find anything online that resembles the hat on the left. It's almost tiara shaped at the front, but I think there's a crown to it, so not exactly.  Hope this helps - it may just make things more confusing!

What do you think about all the creases in the dress of the woman on the left? It's odd to have a posed photo in formal clothes with something that so badly needs ironing...
Jo Ann

Candice

Sure am enjoying the progress you all are making.
Candice

Lynnya

Thanks guys.. yes your take and outlines pretty much line up with my assessment of it all... perhaps I should iron the dress just a tad? Will post my wip in a couple of years...

Lynnya

So I still have a lot to do but this is where I'm at.. if you look at the original I do believe the hat is a wide brimmed.. I can see the shape of the brim to the right of her eye.. it makes more sense to me.. there is nothing in the channels which means I have to paint/draw which I'm not so good at.  As I said, still a lot to do, shadows... details etc.... comments welcome any help appreciated.

Jo Ann Snover

I thought some drawing/cloning over your WIP might make my suggestions more clear than wordy descriptions, so...

I like your hat brim, but I slightly changed it to fit as I think it would have to given the shape of the brim in front. I assume you'll take care of the blown-out whites on the woman's dress, so I left that alone. There were several parts of the women's arms that didn't look right so I changed those. I also thought that the woman on the left looked a bit lopsided and droopy-eyed, so I adjusted those - again as best I could given what I can see as adjusted to make something coherent, roughly symmetrical, etc.

See what you think
Jo Ann

Lynnya

Yes thanks JoAnn.. I thought her eyes were a bit droopy also but to me on the original they look a bit that way.. I went too far maybe.. thanks for the arm..will address that today..and the eyes..looking at it again I think that new arm is a tiny bit fat.. I'll redo with the shape tho.

Jo Ann Snover

Who is ever going to complain that a photograph made them look thinner? :)
Jo Ann

Lynnya

Jo Ann Snover

Other than some edge tidying (skirts that need a smooth edge) I think the colors look a bit ghoulish - probably a result of the damage. I used a couple of adjustment layers on top of your WIP to make people look a little more alive :) See what you think

If you want the adjustment layers, let me know & I'll put them online
Jo Ann

Lynnya

Jo Ann Snover

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1UfXPsWQ5dmrr1HgssTNpCMTX13k5N_66/view?usp=sharing

Ignore the gray background layer (that just keeps the file size small). Shift-drag the adjustment layers into your image and they should line up as the file dimensions are the same size.

Note that the masks are very much quick & dirty - you'll want to tidy them up if you use them :)
Jo Ann

Lynnya

Thanks JoAnn for all your help.. appreciate it.  Got it... very cool... thanks again.