• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

The Pets Of OPR

Started by zapphnath, March 26, 2007, 03:13:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zapphnath

I've noticed pictures popping up, here and there, of some of our members' beloved companions and I thought this idea might deserve a thread of it's own.

To start things off, here's Lucy, my 5 yr. old chihuahua and Mao, my 18 yr. old cat.

When we first got Lucy, she could, literally, curl up in the palm of my hand.  Now she's about a foot long and around 8 inches tall, at the shoulders.  She's a spitfire, though - barks and growls at EVERYTHING! 
Mao has always been an inside cat.  She's allowed outside, when it's warm but she never ventures far beyond the porch.  Once, she went into the neighbor's yard and was chased around their pool a couple of times by their Doberman - she's no longer interested in anything that goes on beyond the fence. :) She sleeps a lot more, now, but she still likes to play and runs around, up and down the stairs, just for... just to... well, who knows why.  I don't think we're meant to ever really understand cats.

glennab

Hi Z

I'd need the entire web site to display my 12 individually.  Here's the wallpaper on my computer at work with a few of them.  I'll try to find a shot of the others and do another composite.

They're (starting with the large photo, going clockwise) Sniffles (21 pounds of love bunny), (Top right) Scooter (22 pounds of attitude) and Aaron Neville (talks constantly and sings - hence the name); (Middle right) Aurora, her brother Hunter who died of a heart attack a couple of years ago, and Sniffles; (Bottom right) the love birds, Sniffles and Sara (my miracle cat who survived antifreeze poisoning. Sniffles has become her protector and best friend.  They groom each other, eat together, walk down the hall with tails entwined and are often seen spooning as they are in this photo. Too precious!).  Sara is Aurora and Hunter's mother and Scooter's grandmother.  They're all rescues, and I adore them!

And you're right, there's no understanding cats.  When Sniffles' mother was pregnant with him and his siblings, she was a feral stray.  After she had the kittens, we tried to find them so we could socialize them  and get them adopted.  She would lead us all over the neighborhood to keep us away from the babies.  We never figured out  where she had them hidden.  When the babies were old enough to be weaned, she brought them all to my door and left them  -- and we never saw her again. (My theory is that she took off because she found a sugar daddy to put her through college, and she knew I'd take care of the kids!)  The babies were, of course, feral.  One died from the stress of being abandoned.  The other 3 were socialized and adopted, but Sniffles was returned to me because  (supposedly) he bit everyone who came near him and attacked the guy who adopted him.  I don't get it, because he is the dearest, most loving cat you can imagine.  Loves being loved, and is always cuddled up to either me or one or more of the other cats.  Go figure.  Maybe he just wanted to be HOME.

Lucy certainly is a mighty mite!  What a tiny little pooch!

Mao reminds me of Panther, whom I lost many years ago to old age. One day (and ONLY once) a huge rottweiler came into our yard and she jumped on him, dug in her claws and rode him out of the yard. Once he was off our property, she calmly jumped off his back and paraded back to us. She was the QUEEN! 

Bless all our wonderful critters!  I can't imagine being without companion animals.

GG
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

kiska

Here are my pets.

Bits, a stray I took in a few years ago.

Pearl, adopted last summer, an Australian Shepherd.

And Hannah, the QUEEN, a Blue Tick Coonhound. Also my avatar.

kiska
Photoshop 2021, MacPro

glennab

Kiska, I can only see Pearl and Hannah, the Queen.  And does she ever look like one.  Obviously she RULES!  Adore the pose.  She reminds me of a greyhound.  (A regal one, of course!)

And Pearl has a face I'd love to just smooch all over.  I've heard Australian shepherds are extremely intelligent.  True?  She's beautiful.

But where's Bits?

All I can say is you're blessed to have a crew like that to take care of you.  I bet they keep you busy!  But not lonely.  Doesn't get any better than that.

Best to you always,

Glenna
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

cmpentecost

This is a picture of our new bundle of joy!  He's a seal point Siamese, and we got him from a family who was giving him away!  They had gotten him as a kitten for breeding purposes, but it didn't work out, so they had him neutered and ran an ad in the paper.  I guess the cat Gods were watching over me, because I almost NEVER look in the paper under the free stuff column!  His name is Blackfoot, as he was born in Blackfoot, Idaho.  He's very affectionate and purrs louder than any cat I've know.  He's also very playful.  We just picked him up on Saturday, so he's still adjusting to the new surroundings, and we are keeping him separated from Winchester for now.

Christine

glennab

Chris, he's gorgeous!  I'd love to just bury my face in his fur.  I knew the right guy was out there waiting for you!  And oh, those eyes!

Congrats on the addition to the family.

Glenna

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

Ausimax

Nice one Chris, he looks a beauty and seems to be settling in quite comfortably.

Max

Wisdom is having a well considered opinion .... and being smart enough to keep it to yourself!     MJS

"Life" is what happens while you are planning other things!

kiska

kiska
Photoshop 2021, MacPro

Tess (Tassie D)

This is my little girl 'Lady'. She is a border collie cross and will be 18 in October this year. As you can tell, she thinks she's a human and loves to sit up at the table.
Tess Cameron
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

glennab

Hi Tassie

I'm glad you added your precious senior citizen to the pet gallery.  She's adorable.  I'd love to smooch that face!

I've heard that Border Collies are exceptionally smart dogs.  Is that true?

Glenna

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

Tess (Tassie D)

Most definitely true. This girl knows exactly how to get her own way especially at dinner time.

Tess
Tess Cameron
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

cmpentecost

Ok, so this isn't a "pet" but the fawns are used to us, and seem pretty tame.  This is one of a set of twins that wander through our yard daily.  He's a little cutie, huh?!

Christine

sanbie

OMG that is so cute...the only thing I get to see around here are kangaroos!!

Sanbie
paintshop pro X1

cmpentecost

I'd love to see a kangaroo!!

Christine

glennab

I'm envious, Chris!  To see a fawn in one's yard.  That's awesome.  And Sanbie -- a kangaroo -- I'm with Chris on that one.  I'd love to meet a live 'roo. We once had racoons, possums and beautiful black racer snakes, but now that they've paved paradise the most exotic creatures we see are the big birds (great blue herons, egrets and sometimes wood storks) in the pond across the street.  Even though we have a gator warning at the pond, I think it's a nearly 40-year-old joke, because I've yet to see one in our vicinity.

Glenna

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)