• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Brother & sister sit for portrait

Started by Jo Ann Snover, October 15, 2021, 03:05:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jo Ann Snover

I still have a lot to work on, but I wanted some affirmation (or not) that I had the basic limbs and positions correct. I also am not sure what the boy's thumb is tucked into - there's clearly a piece of fabric over the tip of the thumb, but it can't be a pocket and I can't see a toy or other object.

I have done an "underpainting" layer for the missing arms, legs, face parts and hands, just to make sure the composition is right. I realize it looks really crude, but try and ignore that :) I will make it look like a photo after I'm sure I'm on the right track.

The blue channel has very little to offer in this image, so I didn't bother to post that. All suggestions appreciated.
Jo Ann

Lynnya

Looking good so far.. the little girls face on her damaged side looks too wide to me.. I can't imagine what the boys thumb is in but it definitely is in something..to me the positions look good.
never giving up......learning from others as I go...

Jo Ann Snover

Thanks. You're right about the face.

I'll do a bit more to re-shape that (and the smile isn't quite as wide as it should be either).
Jo Ann

Jo Ann Snover

So I've worked on the little girl's face a bit more and I think the shape of her jaw, neck and mouth are better. See if it looks better to you :) Sometimes, after you look at things long enough, you can't seem them any more...

Jo Ann

Lynnya

It's better.  I think it could be a little more "rounded" more baby like? Her jaw line is just a little sharp.   I also think her mouth is open just a little more with the corners ever so slightly up rather than straight.. Difficult restore.

Jo Ann Snover

Thanks. I switched to working on the boy's clothes to have a break from trying to figure out what this little girl looked like!

I'll take another run at it and then ask Bambi to see what she thinks (before I do all the details and get the skin texture, etc.). I had a slightly more open mouth earlier (between the two I posted) but I thought she looked gormless (British slang for empty-headed)!. I might try and find a stock photo I like to use as reference.
Jo Ann

Lynnya

Being British I'm familiar with lack of gorm.  :funny:

Jo Ann Snover

I didn't know you were British!

I came to the US when I was 20 (a very long time ago; now I'm a citizen) but all my family are still in England. People here think I sound British; people there think I sound American. When I lived in Austin Texas, they knew I wasn't from "around here" :)

Do you consider yourself settled in the US?
Jo Ann

Lynnya

Yes been here since 1977 yes I feel settled - we just moved to Carnation Wa 18months ago from Florida.. I'm a citizen as well and still have family in UK. Trying to get used to overcast skies and RAIN.

played with your baby girl a bit.. rough and dirty.. pushed in the cheeks a tad and lifted her mouth a tad.. don't know if it's better or not.. looking at it again.. I think her mouth is a tad (another tad) too wide.. just a tad. On the left side looking at the screen.

Jo Ann Snover

She looks much happier. I'm wondering if the chin should be less pointy than my last version? I'll play - but I like the mouth turned up.

You're only a little east of where we are. The blue skies and low humidity of summer have now given way to the gray season :) Pre Covid, we'd typically need a sunshine fix around February (and San Diego is good for that)...
Jo Ann

Lynnya

Yes I think the chin should perhaps be rounder.. more babylike.. Summer has been drop dead gorgeous .. now comes the mud season. Had to buy boots and heavy coats etc.. we live on a farm!

Jo Ann Snover

Mid-afternoon today we were able to sit outside in bright sunshine which was a treat, but while the weather wasn't as nice I did more work on this restore.

I got Bambi's OK that I was heading in the right direction, so I think I've made progress in getting the little girl to look like a little girl :)

Jo Ann

Lynnya

Looking good JoAnn.. made me smile.. do you think her cheeks are a little pale and a tad puffed out? only a smidge mind you.. Looking at it again I think her cheek on the right looking at the screen is great.. the one on the left looks a little too pronounced to me.

Shadow

Agree with Lynn on the left cheek. What a wonderful job so far JoAnn!

Jo Ann Snover

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm still working on this but see if you think that this afternoon's edits have made the little girl look better - color, less puffy in the cheeks?

I think it's looking more believable, but it's hard when you don't have her actual face to look at :)

Jo Ann