• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Toddler with her parents covered in splotches

Started by Jo Ann Snover, October 12, 2021, 01:23:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jo Ann Snover

I'm nowhere near finished with this, but thought I'd post to see if there are any glaring wrong moves in reconstructing this family group. Particularly with the faces. But also with restoring the color - I think the original was perhaps a bit "harvest gold" tinted but suspect I should aim for something more neutral.

The damage is in three types: splats, faded/hazy areas, and tiny white spots. Doesn't help that the photo was a bit dark to begin with. The tiny spots are the simplest to deal with and I'm not sure if the haze fade solution I came up with is OK. Judge the woman's and man's faces & hair -  their arms and the toddler's legs aren't dealt with yet.

No rush - I have plenty to keep me busy  :)
Jo Ann

Lynnya

Good morning! Looking good so far. Hard one. The only thing that jumped at me was the woman's face looks a bit to contrasty and shiny. Other than that it's great.
never giving up......learning from others as I go...

Jo Ann Snover

I'm still nowhere near finished, but I have made some progress. I have toned down the woman's face a tad (although if you look at the original where it's not damaged, cheeks and eyeshadow are "shiny", so I don't want to lose that look entirely).

I think I have the shape of the man's arm holding the little girl's hand, but when you look at how skinny his other arm is, it's possible I've mixed up the woman's hand and the man's forearm & elbow a bit!

Jo Ann

Lynnya

Looks wonderful JoAnn.. amazing job on the splotches. I still think the woman's face could be softer.. just my take on it. Otherwise an amazing restore.
never giving up......learning from others as I go...

Mhayes

Jo Ann, I agree with Lynn about the contrast and  needing to be softer on the adults' faces. You have done an amazing job on the cleanup and realize you aren't finished yet. I would lighten both adults skin. I did a correction and laid your version on top and then used a layer mask to bring back in the faces. How the baby stayed so great is amazing.

I just had cataract surgery yesterday and my sight in the right eye is way off, so hope between my typing and PS work won't be too bad. The other eye in a month. So if I seem to be AWOL part of the time, you will understand why. In fact I'm signing off as too hard to read.

"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Jo Ann Snover

Margie, I do hope the healing is swift - that all sounds very difficult, but I'm sure it'll be worth it once you're on the other side of both surgeries.

I had already made some changes based on Lynn's input but I'll compare your version with that and see what I can do.
Jo Ann