• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Ladies who lunch

Started by Jo Ann Snover, September 21, 2021, 09:10:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jo Ann Snover

This lovely, but heavily damaged photo is what I'm working on. There's a lot that I just can't see in the original. I've made up the missing stuff as best I can, but I'm not sure what I can do with the woman on the right of the photo whose face is largely wiped out.

I've included a version of the original with outlines. If there are any suggestions about how to proceed with the mystery woman, I'm up to give it a try, but I can't imagine anyone who knew her recognizing her if I just paint in something.

As. you can see, I still have plenty to work on while I hum and ha about the woman on the right

Jo Ann

Mhayes

WOW Jo Ann, I agree that I see no way to make up for the missing info on the woman. I'm open to suggestions and wonder if the only option on this one is a crop? Ask Bambi and see what she thinks and then Quality Control will go from there. If you do go that route, Could you do the original and your work to match?

Great job so far.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Lynnya

Wow alligators indeed JoAnn.. Looking great! and no I don't think I'll swop.. I'll keep at it.
never giving up......learning from others as I go...

Jo Ann Snover

Bambi's pick from my suggestions was a 4x6 crop.

I still have a way to go, but here's where we are with the cropped version. Seems much more manageable...

Jo Ann

Lynnya

never giving up......learning from others as I go...

Shadow

Katreester

You always do such a beautiful job and you probably know what's best but personally, if it were my photo, I would want her to remain, even if part of her face and arm needs to be blurred.  I assume these photos are personal treasures and not necessarily display pieces and she may be an important part of why they are gathered, who knows. Whatever is visible will help bring back memories.  Anyway, those are my thoughts.

Mhayes

Katreester, I see your point, but leaving the woman with no face is not a good memory. I could have suggested a vignette, but that opens a Pandora's box that I'm not going to open.

Jo Ann, I assume you have the before of the original that you cropped to the size of your now WIP and will upload both? Since this is a work in progress, I hesitate to say much because you may not be this far. Mainly the blotches in the photo, especially on the woman's arm.
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Jo Ann Snover

I finished - or at least I think I did - earlier today, and sent three versions to Bambi - a cropped original, my edits in tones like the original and a monochrome version.

Jo Ann

Mhayes

Great job on the woman on your right and really a very hard restore. One things that stands out is the woman on your far left. I notice that she is wearing a watch and has a ring on her finger and none of that do I see in the original.  There is damage under the woman's right breast, but it could look like a shadow. The family will be very happy.

Bambi and QC will make the final call.
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]