• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

color input needed please

Started by Lynnya, September 18, 2021, 06:59:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lynnya

Just starting on this one.. thought it would be fairly safe  :huh: obviously this last year has had an impact on my brain.. I have a feeling this may be a doozy..

also.. should I keep the bits of frame around the edge? or not...all comments and help appreciated. Please ignore dirt on gown and cap.. just looking for skin tones really..
never giving up......learning from others as I go...

Mhayes

Hey Lynnya, we're all rusty unless Photoshop is something we use everyday. You're off to a good start and no, get rid of the frame.
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Lynnya

Shadow

Think the skin tones look good Lynn. Maybe tweak the amount of red in the shadow on the right side of her face, neck, and chest? You probably already saw that.  :up2:

Jo Ann Snover

I like the brightness of your WIP, but there is something odd with the colors, most obviously visible in the woman's lower lip highlights. There's an iridescent patch where the highlights should be.

Here's a comparison of your WIP versus a quick fix I did on the original (i.e. no content edits)

Here's the photoshop file if you want to download it to take a look at the adjustments I made - probably easier to for you to look at them and play with them.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/14KS5Fq_lyq74TcVwMUmJcTlxRe1nAPwd/view?usp=sharing

Let me know when you've copied the PSD file and I'll remove it (this isn't public - you have to have the link to view/copy the file)

Jo Ann

Lynnya

Thanks JoAnn.. Im not sure about the lower lip? I think I know what you mean... I've downloaded your file thanks.  Still have to address the green shading at the bridge of her nose.. and on her neck..I'll work on it some more.

Jo Ann Snover

Let me know if I should elaborate on the lower lip part. You'll see one layer that was to remove some odd magenta stains on one part of the face and background. That approach (a masked Hue/Saturation adjustment layer that moved the magenta hue a little towards red and desaturated it) could work for other colors. Or possibly a color balance layer that's masked to the stained areas - a bit more work than an overall color cast because of the masking)

I've left the link to the PSD there but changed it to request only (I'll get email if anyone else wants to take a look). I'm not concerned about sharing my edits, just trying to keep the family's images from being public.
Jo Ann

Lynnya

Thanks JoAnn.. will try to get head round it..doing a lot of standing and staring at it presently... hopefully that will chang.. ::)

Lynnya

I have a question.. maybe JoAnn could help.  I would normally use the blend mode "color"  and pick a close tone to blend in any strange color casts on skin but in this case all I get is grey rather than the color.. I'm trying to paint in the color blend mode over my subject's greenish cast nose.. I've tried reducing the yellows and greens but to no avail.  I've noticed that the "color" mode often does this with light colors..Anyone know how to get around this? I've tried desaturate and color balance neither of which I like the results of. Using the "color" blend mode on hair and other areas works really well. Is this clear as mud?

Jo Ann Snover

You might need to pick a more or less saturated color than the desired end result to get what you're after. Bear in mind it's a blend mode, not a "change the existing color to the new one" mode.

I sometimes use a hue saturation layer and adjust only one or two of the colors - say red and magenta - and then roughly mask that. You can also use the color picker in the Hue/Saturation adjustment layer to target the color you want to shift specifically, and that can sometimes be a better choice - typically if the "off" color is all about the same.

When you use an adjustment layer, you can also change its blend mode and sometimes that works well. A Hue/Sat adjustment layer set to colorize (that's a check box in the dialog) and then set it's blend mode to Color (or hue).

The other way to approach the splashes of icky color (i.e. not an overall color cast) is to use two separate steps. A Hue/Sat adjustment layer to desaturate greens & yellows and then paint in the color you're after with you choice of method. More layers (labeling them helps) but you get more control

Does that help any?
Jo Ann

Lynnya

Absolutely does thank you so much.... I have used the "colorize" mode in hue/sat before from time to time.. I'm sure one of these methods will work, thanks again.  :wnw:

Lynnya

how does just the skin on face and nose look now.. nothing else yet.. obsessing about the green right now...

can I still see a little greenish yellowish around the right side of her mouth looking at the screen? Looking at it now it looks to me like it lacks color.. >:(

Jo Ann Snover

This looks a lot better.

A short digression. If you look at an Adobe RGB image in most browsers, it will look washed out as the browser doesn't read the profile. Look at this example of what the same image looks like when the correct vs the incorrect profile is assumed by the browser

Going back to your WIP. I think the lack of color issue is really that theres not enough contrast. Take a look at this version of your image - no edits but an S curve adjustment layer (I did export this as an sRGB image just to display properly)

I think you are seeing green around the nose because of the magenta "splash" on the left side of the model's eyes and cheek. Don't adjust the green-ish looking skin until you've addressed the splash.

If you can't see the magenta splashes, stick a Hue/Sat adjustment layer on the top and crank up the magenta saturation. That'll show you where fixes are needed (and you could outline those so you can see where to work when you turn the Hue/Sat layer off)

Helpful?

Jo Ann

Lynnya

Yes helpful thanks.. interesting info on RGB vs sRGB.. makes sense.

Lynnya

Guys... I'm not getting anywhere... she doesn't look as washed out on my screen I must have done 50 different copies and none are going the way I want them to.. I may have to cave on this one ... much as I hate to do that.. :-\  In an attempt to show her real colors this image is RGB.. didn't help..