• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Have Patience as More Photos Coming

Started by Mhayes, August 14, 2020, 07:25:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mhayes

Kerbstone, this doesn't work. The siding doesn't line up and  the color doesn't match. Not sure what the box on top is.  Let's leave it like it was before this effort and call it good. It's a case of the left side a lost cause.

I think upload your best shot and don't crop, because I think QC will have that option. Having the women in the photo is the most important part.

Hopefully more photos will  be coming and not slide that were scanned.  :wow:

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Candice

Candice

Mhayes

Candy, if you mean more photos coming? I'm about ready to hoist the white flag. I will have to start getting more creative. Maybe drag out my own photos and stomp on them in the mud.

"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Kerbstone

https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/reviews/best-mobile-scanning-apps/ Perhaps try advertising that they can use their phones as a scanner.  Less trouble at a time of crisis.

Candice

Yes, Margie, that's what I meant and right on cue you came back with a comment that made me LOL.  Perhaps we should share some of our hardest restores just to let others practice on.   

Candice

T

Quote from: Kerbstone on October 07, 2020, 11:44:58 AM
Perhaps try advertising that they can use their phones as a scanner.  Less trouble at a time of crisis.

I agree. It's best to use a phone to scan photos because this is the most accessible alternative for many people. The quality may not be as good but it's something.

Quote from: Candice on October 07, 2020, 12:32:52 PM
Perhaps we should share some of our hardest restores just to let others practice on.

I think this a wonderful idea!
life flows on within you and without you

Mhayes

We have put the message out on OPR's Facebook and also on area's Facebook sites. I have also used photos that were scanned by phone, but they have to be  done right. "The quality may not be as good but it's something." That can be a real problem and as I've stated I have taken them if they are done right: in focus, can be cropped to the right dimension, no camera shakes, camera held straight, etc.  The biggest problem right now is that areas in Louisiana that have been hit the hardest are in the recovery stage and looks like they are about to be hit again. So for them it will be some time.

Why not post one of your own personal photos or ask friend if they have some they would like restored? The bad part about posting photos on the Forum where it is open to everyone is that those photos can be downloaded and used outside of OPR. I may see if I can find some photos that were listed as non-restores.

We are also in contact with rescue groups on the ground and they will get the word out about us.
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Mhayes

Kerbstone, did you have a chance to check out the link you gave? I thought this was a link it was on how to use your phone as a scanner but you have to download software. One thing with any scanning we have done, all whistles and bells have to be turned off, because if you don't the scanner does color corrections we can't undo to get back to the original.

I read the reviews on the scanners for smart phones and here are some interesting comments. Mainly these are for a PDF scan--we need sRGB-- and what I'm reading they would be a pain for people coming off a disaster to use them. For other uses fine, but not for what we need.

Adobe iPhone PDF scanner User got the best reviews, but it is for an iPhone. I needed to see what a complaint would reveal: "It takes almost 10 minutes to make pdf . Then another 10 minutes showing saving as pdf. It automatically change the color of pages. Then i have to wait until it gets original color." Realize there are plenty of positive comments, but this is not what we want and not a PDF.

Scan Pro Apt(listed as expensive): User complaint: The app is almost becoming almost unusable. It takes forever to detect a page and then bunch of instructions follow like move closer, don't move and then no document detected and then the whole process again. Old review: The new version is so pathetic. My default camera app takes better scan..."

We already have a way to have the photos scanned and uploaded to us: FedEx. They scan and the copies are uploaded to a flash drive and then mailed to us. We have got the word out in Twin Falls, MI and so far no takers.

With all the other recent disasters, we need to give them time to cleanup.

"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Mhayes

Kerbstone, I owe you an apology as to the benefit of using a smart phone to scan a photos. While your link was for document scanning only, it caught the attention of Shujen and Hannie and they had high praises for Google's PhotoScan: https://www.google.com/photos/scan/ This is good for both the iPhone and Android and is for scanning photos.

While having a copy stand is the ideal way, this may be a great way for people to get a copy of their damaged photos to us. 
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Kerbstone

A child's plastic chair makes a good phone stand in a pinch.  Anyone else have any creative ideas for a phone stand?

Mhayes

There is no need for a plastic chair or any kind of copy stand when suggesting using the cell phone with this app, that is the beauty of it. See the video. Some day when things go back to normal--if ever--we will use our professional copy stand.
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]