• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Color Advice

Started by Kerbstone, July 28, 2020, 02:48:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kerbstone

This is what I had after repairs and then after I played with the color :-\

Mhayes

Kerbstone,

You've done a really good job and I especially like that their skin looks more natural. When I downloaded your photo I noticed that it has lost its original sharpness and wonder if you had done any blurring? You still have some fun work around the gentleman's pocket and between his wife's sleeve. It may be easier to borrow from some undamaged areas--using layers masks--rather than trying to correct the color. I played with the photo and my colors are different, but that doesn't mean I am right and yours is wrong. My biggest concern was the loss of sharpness and this is not something you can now go back and sharpen.

On my left is the photo with Levels done first where I went in and moved the sliders in for each channel, then an Auto Curves Adjustment. As you can see the redness needs correcting, so the next photo is just a trial where I went into Color Balance Adjustment. I did a quick and dirty and move the Midtone Slider toward Cyan -5.7. This had changed the photo that is not what the original was, but I'm interested in toning the skin down. I will use my first adjustment as the bottom layer and then place this layer on top, but do a conceal all Layer Mask. With a white brush as the foreground I will paint back over the faces as that is all I want to change.  The 2nd comparison will be yours on the left and my "quickie" on the right.  My two problems are with the change in sharpness and (you really don't see that until you download) and the color of the man's suit. Just a thought.

"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Kerbstone

I backed up a little taking out some of the blur.  I then used the green channel with multiply and lighten and changed the opacity.  Do you think this is a better starting point for repair.  TY Margie

kiska

I did a basic levels and curves. Then added a color balance to tone down yellow skin tones.

kiska
Photoshop 2021, MacPro

Kerbstone

Ty Kiska.  I think doing the repair before the color was good was where I went wrong.  :)

Mhayes

You are right Kerbstone, always do the color adjustment first and then the repairs. It's not that some tweaking can't be done later, but the major getting it back close to the original comes first.
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]