• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

School Days School Days

Started by Candice, June 23, 2020, 02:29:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mhayes

Well done Candy. Had to smile at: "Oh, and I tried to give the teacher a more natural look behind her glasses.  She looked a bit goolish!" Perhaps this was due to years of working with the little angels?
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Candice

Candice

Shadow

Candice

Candice

Candice

Update.  Sent home.

Candice

GKTus

Hello Candice,
I was Newbie1 a while ago, now I'm Newbie3.  In the current dearth of photos, I've been practicing on some photos in the Forum and found your <Koniecny-D-03-003-8x10.jpg>  (I assumed it's OK to download).

I'm stumped:  how did you restore the upper left corner?  At first I thought you inserted a photo of the painting, but it isn't the Homer I thought it was, and, even worse, could not find it in the complete Homer collection.  Also, I thought you just copied the books from any other shelf, but not so (but you did copy the shelf label from the neighboring shelf).  I'm very interested in knowing how you restored the area (besides having a friend go to Midland and take a pic of the area).

If I could correct the upper left, then I was thinking to use the blue channel to eliminate the uneven color cast, add a gradient to correct the uneven exposure, and apply the border from the red channel.  Does that sound reasonable?

Many thanks! -- Gary Kern  aka GKTus    Yes, "Tus" is Tucson, AZ

PS:  I'm using Affinity Photo, so if a trick unique to PS is required, all is lost for me.

Candice

GKT, if you're referring to the picture, I did everything by hand (mouse) I don't use a pad.  Most of the information was there.  It was a matter of filling in the missing pieces.  The way my mind works I'm not sure I could tell you the exact steps now but, often I use the paint brush at a lower opacity and paint in the missing areas and then use the clone and/or heal tool to fill in the missing information of the man and child, frame and background.  BTW,  I looked for the picture, too.  lol   I do my work in  Photoshop CS4.   

For the books... a book is a book.  Most people will not be searching the shelves, so you can get by with a small amount of artistic license. I corrected the brick pattern by cloning from other areas  The restoration is about the kids.  There is where I wanted to be really picky and was.  There were also several great suggestions made in how to correct the exposure on some of the kids.  You may have noticed that most, if not all, of the picture had a LOT of fringing.  This is where patience comes in.  I use the paint brush set at a lower opacity to fill in the areas. Sometimes I set the brush with just a bit of noise, too.  Then I'll come back and use the smudge tool to help blend.  I'm always sampling color so that the areas match well.

I hope this helped explain my process.    PS.... welcome back!

Candice