• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

School Days School Days

Started by Candice, June 23, 2020, 02:29:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Candice

Candice

Mhayes

Candy, looking good. When I first looked at this one, I thought you had sharpened it. When I downloaded and worked on it, I found it to be the same. I know that you aren't finished with this one as still damaged on your left hand side. What I did try to do is to tone out the blown out highlights that were in the original. I added a new layer with 50% gray and the mode Soft Light. With my foreground changed to black and my brush opacity varied as I brushed over parts that I wanted darker.  Yes, still over blown, but not as bad.

Funny when I uploaded this one I thought: Bet Candy will take this one.  ;D

"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Shadow

I'm with Margie, saw it and immediately thought of you. Good luck. Look forward to the final.  :)

Candice

Great hint, Margie.  It's one I've never tried.  I'll give it a shot because it did make a difference.  Sometimes, I'm still in the dark ages with tricks in photoshop.  lol 

You both were right.  I love these pictures.  I like working with the fonts  and often it's something a lot of people don't want to mess with. 
Candice

G3User

Another approach it to totally exaggerate the apparently blown out area with a curve.

The attached is from the blue layer which seemed to have slightly more detail. It isn't usable as is but will give some idea of the detail of the dress of the girl on the left. Not much help to the second girl.

Athol

Mhayes

Athol, that worked really great in that it brought back detail in the girl's faces and did away with the blown out parts.. Use that with other and do a layer mask to bring the parts you want.
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Candice

Candice

Mhayes

Better. I would use Athol's as a layer and yours and then do a layer mask where you can have the best of both worlds. You can vary your opacity on your mask.

Athol, could you upload that last image but without the Curves illustrated. I can get min to look as good as yours in Curves.
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

G3User

Margie, The first is just the blue layer, the second is with a similar curve as I didn't keep the original. As usual my best work always seems to get lost :halo:

Candice

Using a couple of your suggestions and a few of my own.... I've backed up the picture to regain a base. 

Here's where I am.

Candice

Candice

Update.  I've worked on this today and I think it's looking decent! 

Candice

Mhayes

Candy, yes, this version is an improvement and good job with the picture on your left. Here is what I did with Athol's photo using curves. Your work was the bottom layer and then his was the top layer. I did a layer mask to conceal all and then painted back in what I wanted--especially with the front row with the girls and also darkening some of the books. When I got where I wanted I did a merge visible and did what I posted earlier where I added a layer with 50% gray and soft light as the color mode. This is basically another layer masks that lets me darken and lighten as I want. I lighten the children's faces as some seem either too gray or the girl on the far right too dark. Not perfect but I think it evens the photo out. Yours is good, just wanted to tweak the contrast more evenly. The wall should have been left as you had, but didn't see that until now and too late to go back.Below is the comparison.

layers combined/layer masks

P.S. Athol, I bet your dog is too blame for your loss.  :cool:
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Candice

Margie, perhaps not the same method but I do believe it's ready to go home.

Candice

Mhayes

Candice, yes! Now the photo is so much more even and not broken in half if that makes sense?  The girls in front look good and their faces more detail. :up:
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Candice

Makes sense to me.  The left side of the picture was blown out.  Another problem I ran into was a LOT of fringing.  To remove that I has to use my smudge tool and work with each individual's face, then bring out the highlights again.  Ran into the fringing around the pictures and books too.  Oh, and I tried to give the teacher a more natural look behind her glasses.  She looked a bit goolish!   I've a couple more things in the books and then she's being sent home. 

Thank you all for your input!! 

Final:

Candice