• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Beautiful little girl

Started by Lynnya, July 21, 2019, 01:38:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lynnya

Hi Gang..this was a toughie for me.. I'ts by no means perfect but hopefully is near done...suggestions always welcome..

never giving up......learning from others as I go...

Candice

Candice

Jo Ann Snover

That's a photo very much of its time - the hair and the style of the dress. She's in her "Sunday best"!

I was initially a bit puzzled about the leg tucked under her - whether her other leg could really have been on top of her shoe, which I think it had to have been. I thought it perhaps would have raised the leg on top of it, and whether the toe of the shoe would have been peeking out behind her knee, but when I looked at the original and drew some outlines, I think you have it right.

My only quibble would be that the curve of the skirt on the left side of the picture shouldn't cut off abruptly - it keeps on going smoothly and the shadow extends under it (if that makes sense).

Any reason for the fade at the bottom? I think you've got the shag carpet (there are a couple of repeating shag bits on the front you could disguise)

One more quibble: If you look at the way the light falls on the picture, her leg should have the shadow on the left side of the image and a highlight right of center, with a bit more shadow on the right side where it meets the carpet

But you're right - it's near done :)
Jo Ann

Lynnya

Phew! not too bad a review lol... I was expecting much worse to be honest.. I can never tell when it near done or not.. thanks for the input.. will get at it..

Shadow

Those few tweaks and your masterpiece is complete. Way to go Lynn!  :up:

Lynnya

Thanks Lyn.. I'm gonna work onnit some more.. see if I can improve it.. I'm not so happy with the legs..

Lynnya

This is where I'm at again.. what needs tweaks please.. thanks.. Is it too dark??? Lighter one below...Too light now?

Jo Ann Snover

As far as the light/dark question goes, I think it's the loss of detail in the shadows that's most noticeable, not the overall darkness of the image. Not so much contrast - and if you tried to find a black point in the image, that might have forced too many of the darker tones to black.

On the leg, the direction of the light/dark sides is much better, but the transition is too sudden in the center of the leg. Look at how the arms are - much more gradual falloff from lighter center to darker edges. The shoe has changed shape a bit and looks rather clog like - same thickness all the way up rather than narrowing and then widening again.

I think the shadows on the white sock would look better softer and lighter - they're a bit hard edged and dark for a white sock that's scrunched up.

Hope that helps
Jo Ann

Shadow

Lynnya

Thanks Jo Ann for tips and thanks Lyn for support  :loveit:  shouldn't be too hard to fix... right? this is sometimes where I go down the drain with my restores.. good job I have about 6 different versions to choose from.. my computer is about to explode I think...
Back at ya later with revised....
By the way.. I thought the sock was stiped not scrunched but I like scrunched better...

Hannie

What  a great job you did so far Lynn!  Love the leg repairs.
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Lynnya

Thank you Hannie... I'll keep at it til it's as good as it can be... :loveit:

Lynnya

Have lightened the blacks - put an earlier version of the shoe and new socks.. tried to blend the lights on the extended leg.. what else needs doing..don't be afraid to pic.. I want it to be as good as it can be..

Shadow

Tiny thing ... the leg appears a bit outlined. Maybe soften the shadow on the outside and blend the area around the knee a bit more? See what you think.

Jo Ann Snover

I agree about the shadow where the leg meets the carpet - soften and widen that. The shadow on the lower leg looks really good now

On the shoe, there's a sharp 90 degree angle near the toe (left side of picture) that wants to be a curve. On the carpet, on the left side of the picture, there's a strong line (like it had been plowed if it were a field) that I'm guessing is a cloning leftover.

I still think the hair has lost some of the highlights that gave the curls shape - I used a curves adjustment layer set to screen blend mode to give some soft highlights - see what you think

Jo Ann