• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Army Sergeant

Started by Candice, July 19, 2019, 07:20:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Candice

Here's where the sergeant stands. 

Candice

Lynnya

Beautiful Candy!  To me, the eyes are a tad softer on the original (you know I have a thing about eyes lol)
never giving up......learning from others as I go...

Candice

I do believe that the eyes are the windows to the soul, Lyn.  I will take another look at his eyes. Could it be, because there is so much 'orange' in in the area of the whites that it looks softer, Lyn?
Candice

kiska

His left ear seems small and too sharp. Not a sharp photo.

kiska
Photoshop 2021, MacPro

Candice

Thanks, Kiska.  I noticed that this morning when reviewing too. 
Candice

Jo Ann Snover

Couple of things I noticed - sharpness of the repairs versus blurriness of the original and the colors

I think the shirt was beige not white and the uniform not quite so green. Take a look at this (which is a modern color photo, not vintage and hand-colored) with some WWII era army uniform styles shown:

https://www.stripes.com/news/army-mulls-reinstating-wwii-era-pink-and-green-uniforms-1.506179

Jo Ann

Candice

Jo, we both know that over the years the styles and colors have changed in Army uniforms.  There were also different uniforms for the seasons.  My big brother is retired US Army.   I agree with the coloration of the shirt.  That's one of my changes.  I want to do a bit more research on his shoulder patch that may, in itself, lead me to an accurate source for uniform color.   I'm looking for the ribbons, too.  Anyone have info that would be great.  Red and white one is a : good conduct ribbon.

Here's a  pretty good articles on the uniform you shared: https://www.ausa.org/articles/old-uniform-new-again-modernized-pinks-and-greens-could-debut-soon

And another showing the 2nd Service Command shoulder patch:  https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/ww2-2nd-service-command-pfc-jacket-1821868760

More about the patch: https://theworldsmilitaryhistory.wikia.org/wiki/Second_Service_Command

Candice

Candice

Ear, shirt, and uniform color ....  changes made.  Ooppss   Teach me to step outside to water my flowers.... I see more with the ear.    :mad:

Candice

Mhayes

Candy, he looks great!
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

kiska

I'm thinking a military portrait wouldn't have a green background? Could use a color layer to tone it down some more.

kiska
Photoshop 2021, MacPro

Candice

Kiska, I used the predominate background color.   I don't have a problem with changing it.  I'll ask my distributor or just send 2 versions.

Just an FYI,  I did have a few with different backgrounds over time. 

This one in particular comes to mind. 
Candice

Mhayes

Candy, I agree with Kiska and would go with what she suggested. You can ask your distributor, but Kiska is the final word behind the scenes. For some reason I'm not a fan of the rays showing around the sailor's head and maybe because it makes him look like some spiritual leader.
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Candice

How about one of these?  BTW, now his ear is corrected, too.

Good to know about Kiska.  You know Margie, in all these years of being on OPR, I never have known all the people behind the scenes.

Candice

Candice

Quote from: Mhayes on July 21, 2019, 11:43:43 AM
Candy, I agree with Kiska and would go with what she suggested. You can ask your distributor, but Kiska is the final word behind the scenes. For some reason I'm not a fan of the rays showing around the sailor's head and maybe because it makes him look like some spiritual leader.

That was the way the sailor's picture was when it came to OPR.  Maybe it wasn't supposed to be blue, but that how I sent it back.   Gosh that was a LONG time.  The date was 2008 when it came in.  Maybe it wasn't supposed to be the color I saw, but that's the one I sent in.  LOL  I even have the original.  It came from Katrina.

Candice

Mhayes

I never meant to imply that you shouldn't restore the original background, but sometimes when a background is so far gone and another substituted I would shy away from the rays coming out behind the head. What you did on that photo was great and it was on the original. As to the current photo's color I still prefer Kiska's.

Here are the board members for OPR:
Margie Hayes
Jan Niel
Hannie Scheltema
Kiska Moore
Shujen Chen
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]