• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Colorize Cutiepie?

Started by Marydh, June 07, 2019, 05:32:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marydh

This is the original with color correction.  I'm wondering if I should turn it to black and white, get rid of the damage, then colorize  OR  fix it from here.
Thanks,
Mary

Jo Ann Snover

It's trivial to turn it into B&W at any point, so I'm wondering what the advantage would be of doing the repairs in B&W. Just looking at it, I think it's probably not going to make much difference in terms of your time spent either way

There's a lot to fix whatever the color, so why not start out trying it as is - if that works, you save yourself the task of colorizing it from scratch in the end.
Jo Ann

Candice

I concur with Jo Ann.  Going down to B/W isn't going to make that much difference.
Candice

Lynnya

Yup.. sounds like a good plan Mary.. look forward to seeing your final.. it's gonna be good  :up:
never giving up......learning from others as I go...

Marydh

Thanks guys.  I was anxious to dive in so I just started fixing as is and it's doing fine so far.  I'm fairly sure I'll need your advice later. 😎

Mhayes

Mary, looks good. I would go with what you feels works best. I'm not sure I totally agree with what Jo Ann said: "It's trivial to turn it into B&W at any point." Maybe that means as the final restore? One reason to turn into a B/W and then colorize is that you will have a hard time doing a regular color correction on this one. This is an old photo that the color has been hand painted rather than a photo that had color to begin with. I think there's a lot to be said on how you first wanted to do it as it wll allow you to repair the damage and then do the color.
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

kiska

I would turn it into BW, as it was originally before being colorized. Then do sepia and colorizing. Might work?
kiska
Photoshop 2021, MacPro