• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

What did you get up to today?

Started by Tess (Tassie D), April 01, 2017, 05:05:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

schen

These baby acorns of three oaks are on my observation list.
It's interesting how different they are.

Shujen Chen
Windows 10, Photoshop CS6

kiska

Is the forum supposed to look like this? Hell, can't post an image without an http.... was a screenshot.
kiska
Photoshop 2021, MacPro

Shadow

schen

Kiska,

I am sorry. For the time being, we are stuck with this format until we find a better replacement. To post an image, please see:

https://www.operationphotorescue.org/forum/index.php?msg=55489
Shujen Chen

kiska

kiska
Photoshop 2021, MacPro

philbach

phil

schen

Our area is covered with very heavy smoke for the second day.

Shujen Chen

Hannie

The smoke reached Europe today.  Spain and Portugal are hit the most.  Supposedly the smoke would not be very concentrated over The Netherlands, NOT! 

It has been very warm here so all my windows and doors are open and I'm sitting here coughing, eyes burning.

I can imagine what it must be like in your area Shujen, time to get face masks out again!
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

schen

Yesterday, the wind shifted to the south so the smoke is being blown back to where it came from. Sorry. It must have a tremendous impact on life in general, not just human life. A friend of mine visited Yellow Stone last week and sent me much wildlife they saw. It reminded me of our visit in 1989 when we saw only a single moose and nothing else. The area was scorched by the great fire the year before.

Shujen Chen

Shadow

Good thing you still have masks Hannie. Hope they help. And Schen, how are the trees you're monitoring managing the bad air? Hope things clear up for you guys quickly.

schen

Shadow, the arboretum sent out warning messages to the volunteers to limit outdoor activities. So, I have not been out observing lately. The trees probably feel sad that their Canadian friends are burning. We are supposed to get some thunderstorms later today and hopefully, they will help clear up the air a little more.
Shujen Chen

Mhayes

Schen, those pictures are so sad. Having returned from Canada this month we missed getting in the middle of it. Canada is so beautiful and hoping for rains, although they're say the worst is still to come. Stay safe and guard your lungs.
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Lynnya

Schen so sorry to see all that bad air.. hope you are taking precautions and Hannie stay safe over there please.  We are so lucky here in the North West. Last year and the year before was really bad but this year we have nothing so far. All going your way.
Bad stuff to get in your lungs.
never giving up......learning from others as I go...

Candice

We have a Burr Oak that is well over 100 years old and right now it's acorn are small, too.  They come in a group of 2 or 3.  Their acorn also get's very large.

Very interesting to see your picture, Schen.
Candice

schen

Candice, the burr oak has the largest acorn. They get to about an inch wide and an inch and a half long. All my life, I was looking at the acorns on the ground. This is the first time I observed them growing. It is very interesting.

Morton Arboretum is famous for its world-leading research in oaks. Because of that, they decided to double the size of the observers this year and that was how I got my job. There are so many different kinds of oaks in the collection here. I will take more pictures in the coming weeks. Here is a Sawtooth Oak with some baby acorns. The leaves do not look like what we usually think is an oak leaf.

Shujen Chen