• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Young Couple

Started by Candice, March 04, 2017, 12:21:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Candice

You gotta love the black... NOT.  lol  It's a WIP

Candice

Shadow

You always seem to do wonders with the oldies. Look forward to watching it here.
How's the family research coming along?

Candice

Quote from: Shadow on March 04, 2017, 05:40:18 PM
You always seem to do wonders with the oldies. Look forward to watching it here.
How's the family research coming along?
I love the oldies, but then are I one (oldie).  :) 

Family research can be a mixture of wonderful and not so wonderful.  Right now I'm up to the early 1800's for my husbands side.  His father was Ponca/Otoe-Missouria.  His family ancestors were removed from their native area and forced to march to Indian Territory.

Though not kin, but of the same tribe, it was Standing Bear, a Ponca Native American chief, who successfully argued in U.S. District Court in 1879 in Omaha that Native Americans are "persons within the meaning of the law" and have the right of habeas corpus.

https://www.nps.gov/mnrr/learn/historyculture/standingbear.htm

Candice

Shadow

Really enjoy all the history you share with us! Very cool.

Hannie

I agree, it is so interesting to read the history of native Americans.  I love the costume of the dancer in your photo, beautiful!

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Candice

Quote from: Hannie on March 05, 2017, 06:40:55 AM
I agree, it is so interesting to read the history of native Americans.  I love the costume of the dancer in your photo, beautiful!

Hannie

The dancer in the photo was my father-in-law.  He passed in 1994.  He was a traditional dancer, Hannie.
Candice

Lynnya

Wow that's really interesting Candy.. good luck with your "oldie".. look forward to seeing the final..
never giving up......learning from others as I go...

Hannie

Candy, I read about about the Ponca tribes, how they fled from the Iroquois Wars and came to live in Oklahoma and Nebraska.  Your family must be so proud of your father-in-law and cherish this photo.
Sorry for hijacking your thread but I was wondering if you know if the Cherokee are related to the Ponca?

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Candice

Not that I know of, Hannie.  However, I'm sure there are a great many mixed tribal families, just like the Poncas.  The Poncas and Otoe-Missouria's lived in the same area, so it was quite normal for marriage.  David's grandfather was Ponca and grandmother was Otoe-Missouria.  Still 100% Native American.
However, each tribe stands on their own when it comes to governance.

Candice

Shadow

Thank you for all the history Candice. Enjoy it so much!

Candice

And now for an update on our young couple.  The second has a bit darker background.

Candice

Shadow

Looking good. It was a tricky bkgd.

Candice

It really had no defined background so I lightened in one and the other I went 1/2 way.  It's the people that count.  Here's a bit of sepia added.

Candice

Shadow

Mhayes

Interesting history Candice. Love your final.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]