• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Margies Forum Image of 5 Men

Started by Robert.McLaughlin, February 11, 2017, 01:15:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Robert.McLaughlin

Here is a second challenge I took from Margie's forum image. Here's the original. I will add images at different steps in the restore.

Here is the "final" art for this restoration. Why do I keep picking these "butt kicker" photos to restore? Next time I'll pick an easy one; well, maybe moderate. ^-^

Robert McLaughlin
Photo restoration artist

Robert.McLaughlin

My first step is to apply a Blur: Average to a copy of the original image. This creates a layer which I can apply in color mode to the finished restore to bring it back to the original color cast.

Robert McLaughlin
Photo restoration artist

Robert.McLaughlin

My next step is to create a desaturated copy of the original photo. Then work on a blank layer above this to do the restoration.

Robert McLaughlin
Photo restoration artist

Robert.McLaughlin

This is where it starts getting scary. Kinda mucking around in the flotsam and jetsam of a ruined photo with wild pixels floating far and wide. With a little patience I'll get this under control.  :cool:

Here are a few before and after screenshots for this restore:

Robert McLaughlin
Photo restoration artist

Lynnya

Hi Robert Welcome to the forum and thanks for sharing your work in progress.. great to have you on board. Wow.. this is a toughie.. you are brave :D If you look at the top right of the forum topic on post you'll see "modify" .. if you click on that each time you change something it'll keep it all in one place.. (is that clear as mud?) Wishing you really good luck with this one.. and those flying pixels.  Look forward to seeing your final.
never giving up......learning from others as I go...

Shadow

Good luck with your restore Robert. Look forward to seeing it progress.

Hannie

Coming along nicely Robert, thanks for posting your work method.

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Mhayes

Robert, great start on a difficult photo.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Robert.McLaughlin

Thanks for the tip!

Quote from: Lynnya on February 11, 2017, 01:52:53 PM
Hi Robert Welcome to the forum and thanks for sharing your work in progress.. great to have you on board. Wow.. this is a toughie.. you are brave :D If you look at the top right of the forum topic on post you'll see "modify" .. if you click on that each time you change something it'll keep it all in one place.. (is that clear as mud?) Wishing you really good luck with this one.. and those flying pixels.  Look forward to seeing your final.
Robert McLaughlin
Photo restoration artist

Shadow

Wow, this was one was really tough.  :D You have brought back so much. What about a little more tweaking of the cheek/jaw area of the first man shown? Maybe slim or shade the area that looks a bit like it's bulging outward?