• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Faded Image

Started by Lynnya, January 09, 2017, 02:07:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lynnya

Hi all.. I've just started on this image for Bambi..not enough color in it to keep in color mode so we've gone with black and white. Here is my color correction so far. Did an FFT filter first then the usual levels, curves, black and white, and another slight curve to bring down the midtone a tad..

Here is my WIP so far.. struggling on at this.. :crazy:

never giving up......learning from others as I go...

Shadow

Already looks much better. Do you have a battle plan for cleaning up the damage  ;)

Lynnya

sort of... Hubby just gave it a critique...  :( lot's more to do.... I wonder if the FFT filter did something... or maybe I'm just losing the plot a bit.. Back at it fresh tomorrow...

Shadow

Hmmm ...you have come a long way already. The little girl is looking good and you did wonders with the background. Am sure your fresh start will take you where you want to go!

Lynnya

Thanks Shadow... I almost feel like starting over but I think my plan is to take some parts of the original again convert to black and white and morph over parts of my wip..I'm not happy with her little face and hands and the figure on my left needs something doing... :-\  I'll keep at it  :)

still at it...about ten thousend layers.. I've started to use a new layer for any change at all.. no matter how tiny.. I took a lot of stuff from the original and layered good parts  over areas I didn't like.. Shadow what can you find.. need eyes...

two versions so far.. one normal light and one, the last one is  22% hard light blend mode...  all comments and suggestion HUGELY appreciated...

Shadow

You've put a lot of work into this one! There is so much damage on the little boy. I tried a different way to see if I could find some way to help ... Did the usual Gray point and then a Curves layer - Alt + drag in until very first clipping. Then I added that Photo Filter technique you told us about a couple of days ago - used a magenta point for my color and then changed the values. Then I added a Hue/Sat and reduced the Cyan, Yellow and Green to -100. Was trying to see more of the boy's head for the highlights and shape. Hope this helps. Rooting for you! :)

Lynnya

Thanks Shadow.. I'll try that and see what I come up with.. do you think that white area to my left is damage or paper...I'm not sure now...

Shadow

I was thinking that it might be paper ... you know how most kids are when they're opening presents. If paper would be easier to do, maybe you could do that and see what everyone thinks. What I included was a quickie. Still needs final color tweaking etc. but your tip and then tweaking the remaining casts did a pretty good job of showing what's there. That tip of yours is a keeper!

Lynnya

yeah... it looks like there might be a shadow under part of it.. that's what makes me think it's real... jeez.. all that work on the hand and foot  :D I don't know.. see what others think... your boy has more detail.. I can see his other eye on your version.. thanks again Lyn  :)

Shadow what values did you end up with in your photo filter ... not sure what to do with the -15 in the b channel.. what did you do..

I'm going to restart.  The boy looks terrible.. and the girl is too dark...maybe tomorrow  :crazy: :P So in the meantime... I gave the boy another layer and then put a white layer on top of the whole image and reduced opacity... am I going in the wrong direction.. probably start over tomorrow..

Shadow

Hi Lynn. Think I sampled a magenta area on his head which gave L62 a11 b-10. I added a minus to the a and removed the minus on the b channel. (L62 a-11 b10) This helped but still needed the Hue/Sat.
Just tried with the Levels, Curves and a Hue/Sat where I just set Saturation to -100 (no Photo Filter layer) and it looks pretty good and much simpler. Then added a 50% gray Soft Light layer and used black/white varying opacity to improve it some. Also played with the Channel Mixer and had good results with all but the first 2 settings in the drop down menu.  :D  Hope that helps. Bet there are others with more experience who may have some suggestions.
I know you will get this one where you want it! Hang in there.

Lynnya

Thanks Shadow.. I might have bitten off more than I can chew with this one.. :D but I'll keep at it... "never give up" :crazy:

umm   Margie??   Hannie?? :-\

I've added the white (maybe paper) back in ...and redone the boy..  :-\

Shadow

Looking good Lynn. Know how hard you worked on this one.  :up: :up:

Mhayes

Lynn, I'm not sure if that was paper or damage, but I would go back to the photo without it. It makes it look like the paper is attacking her hair.  ;) Looks good without it.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Lynnya

Thanks Margie... I'm going to send this one home...