• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Serious Gentleman in Margie's Forum

Started by Lynnya, November 16, 2016, 08:38:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lynnya

Off and running again with this fantastic image.. my plan (yes I have another plan.. been around Shadow too long) is to do black and white, sepia and also one without the painted red tie (and one with the red tie).. I can't help it, can't stand looking at that red tie..

For the background which is such a mess.. I selected most of it but not tight around the head and body and filled it with the original color (whiteish) then I added noise 2.45 (a lot) then pixelate mosiac 2 to bring the background back to more it's original texture.. no noise or texture to the man.  Then I cloned around his head and body. Starting repairs to his face and suit working down with the spot healing tool. I don't want to lose the texture. I'll make the tie red at the end.

never giving up......learning from others as I go...

JackR

Lookin' good, off to a great start...nice background...
The early bird gets the worm, but the SECOND mouse gets the cheese...

cheers...

Jack

Lynnya

Thanks jack 8) it's a great picture to work on.

Lynnya

o.k. struggling a bit here.. feed back welcome.. is the sepia too dark??

Shadow

Hi Lynn, that sepia is tricky business, huh? This is just my opinion ... the sepia is fine. Not too dark at all. Which method did you use? For some reason, I often find myself drawn more to the B & W. As much as I enjoy these old photos, the sepia we add back (all of us) seems a bit lackluster. Not sure how to explain it.
Excellent job with the background and thank you for sharing your steps! Great tip for us. Nice pinky too!! Maybe darken the area underneath it? Look at your first screen shot and go from there. And would your texture technique work on the fold in his pants just down and left of his right hand (looking at the screen)? On my screen it is a wee bit soft.
And I am with you on that tie! What do think the deal is with that? Really sticks out. Maybe it was painted on later? Like how you included the different possibilities.
Very nice Lynn!!  :up: :up:

Mhayes

Lynn, I like the black and white the best, but upload both when you are done. The tie needs to stays in and stay red. I think someone colored it and that may hold a special meaning--maybe some inside joke. There is no bleeding of the color off the tie, so it should kept as the original was intended.

Nice work and tutorial.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Lynnya

Thanks Shadow and Margie.. Shadow thanks for your good eye.. the sepia method was I think the wrong method.. I'll try Margie's method today and see how it looks... I did Deke McClellends method of new blank layer, fill with solid color (from the originalish) and blend mode multiply.. it's very drab and kicks out the highlights I think.. not good.. also will address the shadow under finger and soft pants..

Margie I'll fix the tie :up:

here are my new WIPS using Margie's sepia method.. better I think.. hmmm or is it too yellow..standby..

lighter sepia

Shadow

Hi Lynn. Like M's Sepia Method (or MSM for short  ;) ) better than Deke's on this one. I don't think it's too yellow but that's just me. Look forward to seeing your final!

Mhayes

Lynn, I like #1 and #3. Ready to upload, very nice.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Shadow

JackR

Great restore, I like the lighter sepia too, though I think I like the B&W best... :up:
The early bird gets the worm, but the SECOND mouse gets the cheese...

cheers...

Jack

Lynnya

Thanks Margie Lyn and Jack  :) it was strange.. I'm sure we all do it but you kinda get to know your subject a bit when working so closely on them? with this gent I was quite freaked out by the end of it lol don't know why, just the way here was staring the whole time... :-\
Thanks for all the great feedback, it really seems to make the difference to a better restore.  :hug:

Shadow

Totally agree ... some of the stars of these pics stay with you. Your serious guy was really concentrating on being still I guess. And agree with you on the feedback!   :)