• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Margie's Forum - Two Great Guys

Started by Lynnya, October 27, 2016, 04:54:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lynnya

Hi all and Margie,

Margie you said to leave this in it's original color and just correct it... this is what I got  :crazy: I did a levels adjustment in red green and blue separately...then I did a curves auto which didn't improve it so I did a black point and brought the black numbers up to about 14 or so.. I didn't do a white point just a neutral gray using difference method...
I guess my point is do you think it should be restored as black and white and then QC can sepia if needed??

I'm quitting for the day  :D

never giving up......learning from others as I go...

Mhayes

Lynn,

Gotta run, but more later. My instructions maybe not the best as this may have been a B/W original. However, tried something and will post later tonight and after it loads on PhotoBucket--may happen in time for Christmas. Also, this photo is crooked and you can correct it if you like.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Mhayes

Lynn,

And to think I was saying this was an easy one for you. It's really not too bad  >:D , but right now it looks like half sepia (which could be age & water damage) and B/W. Here is what I did to make the finished photo looks better. The screen print here looks greenish, but the PS photo does not. Will mention that I straighten the photo and was easy since I had a border and could correct that part.

1. Levels Adjustment
2. Black and White so as to be an even tone
3. Merge Visible and duplicate layer
4. Went back to original and took the eye dropper to choose color
6. Added a blank layer, set mode to color>up to Edit and chose Fill>play with opacity in layers.
7. After photo straight, tool rectangle marquee and fit inside of border>went up to Select> chose Inverse>then Edit to Fill and white foreground -change after the previous color to white--and fill.

I'm also good if you decide to go B/W.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Candice

Candice

Lynnya

Hmmm .. methinks I'll go black and white... :cool: I like what you did Margie but after my last restore I'm feeling a bit weak  ;) I thought I'd go black and white and then maybe add the fill at the very end and have two versions? one black and white and one sepia..

here is my WIP for the black and white conversion..and I will straighten it  :cool:

I took out the curves layer and adjusted the sliders in the black and white.. a bit better I think?

Here is WIP so far.. feedback please..Original below Also... I fell off the wagon and ran the one before the original through my Imageomic Filter :-\ couldn't help it..

black and white filtered as well.. sorry.. about all these images... I get carried away.. :D I think I like the filtered ones better

Shadow

Margie, thanks for the wonderful steps post!
Lynn ... look at those perfectly neat layers.  :cool:  Like your last pic. Agree it looks better without the Curves. Did you slide your RGB in on the Levels to get that result? For someone who just did a marathon you are still going great guns!

Lynnya

Yes brought the rg and b into line holding down alt key which shows any clipping.. brought it all to the edge of clip.. I'm trying desperatly NOT to over process.. dying to run it though a filter but will wait.. Hannie is right, lose a lot of detail..thanks for your kind words :hug: Oh and those are just the start layers... the rest are not so good.. but improving  :P

Mhayes

Lynn, great job! Never apologize for too many pictures, especially when we can see your WIP. Both variations look beautiful--so upload both.

Thanks to you and everyone who have taken photos from my Forum Gallery and posted your work! I and so many others have benefited from these posts.  Thanks to all of you for have jump-starting interest in the Forum again.

:hug:

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Shadow

I'm with Margie ... don't apologize! Nothing overworked about this image Lynn! I would be hard pressed to choose between the 2. Thank you for sharing.    :hug:

Lynnya

Hi Margie.. sent you a pm.. couldn't open the last RivetC image.. wrong kind of document..
Lynn

Mhayes

Lynn, all taken care of.  :up:

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]