• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

New from the Cowboy State

Started by rmertz76, June 01, 2016, 01:07:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rmertz76

Hi everyone. My name is Rick, and I am brand new to OPR here. Wonderful thing you all are doing. I'm from Cheyenne, WY. not sure if anyone elese is in the West here. Howdy... ok, that was a little rediculous lol but seriously awsome job on some of the reconstructions you guys did. I browsed some of those. I'm excited to get to know more of you all, and get to work helping others. -Rick
-To serve others is also to serve oneself.

Mhayes

Hi Rick, a warm welcome from Kansas and glad you're on board.  I envy you coming from Cheyenne, WY--beautiful country.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Pat

A big howdy back at you from Michigan Rick  :)

There are a lot of photos waiting to be restored so if you don't see something currently in the galleries that seems to match your skills just keeps checking back as the galleries are replenished regularly.

We are so glad to have you join in our efforts.  You will find the forum is a great place to pick up tips and techniques.  If you get "stuck" just post your work in progress along with the original and there will always be others ready with friendly advice on how to proceed.

Looking forward to working with you.
Pat   
Pat

"Take a deep breath and think of the three things you are grateful for, right in this moment."  -MJ Ryan Author

rmertz76

A little intimitated looking at some of these pictures. Although I am not new to photoshop, i am fairly new to the restoration process. So i am doing research and have found many different techniques. Please be patient and if anyone has any suggestions for when starting out, by all means. please...I am not prideful and like feedback, learning, and teaching. I do not want to disappoint. They deserve our best! -Rick

Tori803

We have a number of tutorials on the Forum, and usually if you Google "Photoshop" and a question, you'll find lots of information. But I think the best place to start is here - just ask a question on the Forum and you usually get several suggestions from volunteers who have lots of experience with restorations.
Tori
"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence." -Calvin Coolidge

Pat

Rick,

A good many of us got our start and in fact learned about OPR from Katrin Eismann's book Photoshop Restoration and Retouching third edition.  There are practice photos that can be downloaded and the step by step tips and techniques for restoring them are presented in a very easy to understand manner. The book is still reinvent even for those using later versions of Photoshop.  It is available in most public libraries and can be ordered through Amazon. 

Pat 
Pat

"Take a deep breath and think of the three things you are grateful for, right in this moment."  -MJ Ryan Author

Mike S.

Another warm welcome from Michigan Rick,

Welcome to OPR.

Mike
Mike S.

Hannie

And another welcome from Amsterdam Rick, welcome to the forum.

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

WordSpark LLC

Hi Rick,

I'm from Denver, CO so not too far from you, and I am new here as well.

TipSquirrel is a blog about Photoshop and I found the contributions from Janine Smith on photo restoration very helpful.

Ann

rmertz76

Thanks for warm welcome and the tips everybody. I will go ahead and check out that book too. Its a relief to be talking with others about this. Lol, I don't really know too many others that are into Photoshop and photography like I am. It's a relief for the chats. Hi Devnver, not too far from here is right.

susanccr

Welcome to OPR from the San Francisco contingent - even more west than you are!!

You are right about the photos in the queue - there aren't many "beginner level" restorations there and just looking at the level of damage can be daunting.  I like taking on heavily damaged photographs but even I have my limits - usually depending on time.

The best advice I got from people who do this for a living is:

1.   Take your time.  These heavily damaged photos especially are going to take time to restore - sometimes a LOT of time.  There are very few shortcuts.

2.   Realize that there are limitations to what you and Photoshop can do if the pixels aren't there. 

3.   When you are in over your head, walk away for a few hours and come back to it. If you're still stumped, yell for help!!  :)

Good luck!