• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

General question on Printing restored electronic files

Started by Galem, December 19, 2015, 01:06:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Galem

I'm sorry if this topic has been discussed before. I couldn't find an answer when doing a Search...
When you print to a home color printer, you get a nice image at first - but it often fades quickly. (This question is really just for myself and doesn't concern any photos I would test print from OPR, because they wouldn't be kept.)
What is the best way to print a restored photo (for personal use) and have it remain stable? Does a place like Walgreens or Office Depot have a better system than a home printer?
Again, this isn't really an OPR question, but I thought someone in your group would have a good answer.
And let me know if this is an inappropriate question.
Thanks!
Gayle, newbie
Gayle Madden

Mike S.

Hello Gayle,

Ink Jet Printers come in two types of inks, those based on dyes and those based on pigment.  The dye ink fades sooner than pigment.   If you have a dye ink printer and get ink refills from the local office supply stores that are not from the equipment manufacturer, the prints will last less than a month before they start to fade if stored under ideal conditions.  Ideal conditions means stored in an album (or similar) in a cool dry place or under ultra-violet glass away from sunshine in normal room temperatures.  Pigment inks  can last up to 200 years or more under ideal conditions per http://wilhelm-research.com/.  You should check out their website to see if they have a test for your printer.  So longevity depends on the ink, the paper, and the storage conditions.  Good question.

You would have to ask Walgreen & Office Depot what ink they are using.

Hope this helps.

Mike
Mike S.

Galem

Wow - thank you very much. I'm looking at buying a new scanner/printer and will look at pigment type printers. I appreciate your answer. Thank you!
Gayle Madden

Hannie

Interesting post, didn't know about the pigment/dye issue.  For home printing I use a simple Canon MG8250 3 in 1. It is an amazing photo printer for the prize and size. It takes 6 color cartridges (2 blacks, 1 gray and C,M,Y).  I'm sure they are dye based inks.  The prints that I made say 3 years ago and that are hanging on the wall seem not faded in any way.  I'm sure they are to some degree but it is not noticeable.

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Galem

Thank you for the additional information. I had some color work I did and printed on my husbands printer and they fade drastically. We buy our cartridges on-line, the cheapest we can find, and maybe that is part of the problem. Since I will be getting one attached to my computer I will be taking all recommendations and, of course, want to consider price and cartridge prices.
Thank you Hannie
Gayle Madden

Mike S.

Dye based inks from Canon, Epson & HP can last from 10 to 70 years depending on the paper as long as you use same brand manufacturer inks and are under ideal conditions.  I have some large (24" x 36")dye based photos that still look good after 10 years that were printed for me by a friend.  As for 200 years we will have to check back then to see.  lol

Mike
Mike S.

Galem

Thank you again, I think part of my bad luck so far is using cheap ink. That is okay for quick things or disposable things - but not what I should rely on. I appreciate your input.
Gayle
Gayle Madden