• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

zps Nightmare

Started by Mhayes, November 02, 2014, 08:52:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mhayes

Hi Everyone,

Can someone please put me out of my misery--let's not have a rush of volunteers thinking I'm wishing euthanasia.  What is driving me nuts lately is that on numerous occasions when I right click on a WIP and click on "Save Imagine As," it will save but I can't open. I save to my hard drive and it appears that it is a jpg, but it can't be opened. Pat has had the same problem and a few times I could reboot and then open the file. However, the kicker is lately I notice the extension on all these photos has the zps on them and I know that different volunteers didn't start taking a liking to that in their extension. I'm wondering if this is something that is now happening in Photobucket or one of the other image storage sites? I also wondered whether this was happening when an image was reduced in size. Take a look.

Here is the extension I get when download Phil's military WIP.

And usually I can tell the file is not going to open when I see just the icon, but not the image itself. That is not always true and sometimes I will. What is unique is the problem with this zps extension is a common occurrence and not a case of volunteers using an extension from us or everyone liking zps. I wondering if this happening through the web storage site or ours?

And this is the message I get when I try to open the file from my computer.

I almost laugh at the suggestion the file is too short or maybe "JPEG market" means something different than file extension. Any insight on why this is happening will be greatly appreciated.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Mhayes

And now this when I try to download Candice's Marine Air Base-Japan photo. This one I can understand with the "jpg~original" extension as not working.

:mad:

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Pat

I continue to have the same problem Margie.  Suggestions welcome.

Pat
Pat

"Take a deep breath and think of the three things you are grateful for, right in this moment."  -MJ Ryan Author

Mhayes

Pat, I even wonder if it is a Photoshop problem. What is funny is when I tried to do a "Save As" on the image I had just posted--it did the very same thing with the weird extension. Maybe it's Adobe's way of making you upgrade--okay just kidding I think. I have PS CS 5.

Note: Not a Photoshop problem but rather a Photobucket problem and its extensions.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Mhayes

I think the problem lies with Photobucket and not sure why only Pat and I are having that problem, because it looks like the extension that Photoshop does not like. As usual when it comes time to paste in the link that will show the photo; I click on the last option.

I looked on my post and here is the link Photobucket has given and it has to be the problem. I had to do a screen print of it or otherwise it would just post the photo again. On my computer the file for what is below shows up as: zps_004_zpsc421010d and that the file is a JPEG.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Hannie

Margie, it sounds like a hard drive error.  There are 2 things you could try:

- If you can recall a date when you did not have the problem you can  use Windows System restore and pick that date to restore to. 
  http://pcsupport.about.com/od/fixtheproblem/ht/system-restore-windows-7.htm

- Check hard drive for errors and repair.
  http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/check-a-drive-for-errors

Meanwhile you can open the file in Paint and save it on your hard drive.  You should be able to open it in Photoshop now.

Hannie

PS

If you find that you can open the file in Paint, you may consider resetting your Photoshop Preferences.

To restore preferences quickly using a keyboard short cut:
• Press and hold Alt+Control+Shift (Windows) or Option+Command+Shift (Mac OS) as you start Photoshop. You are prompted to delete the current settings. The new preferences files are created the next time you start Photoshop.

Note: Using the keyboard shortcut, preference files for custom shortcuts, workspaces, and color settings will also be reset to default!!

Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

philbach

Margie, I uploaded this .jpg file named "Margie.jpg" to photo bucket.  After uploading in photo bucket I did not select a new name for the file.  Its 1100 x 380 pixels in size.  After posting the file here on OPR, I then downloaded the photo from OPR to my desktop (Mac Computer) and the new name for the file is "Margie_zpsa24cb06a.jpg"  The file size is slightly different being 1024 x 353.  At any rate there are a lot of characters in the new file name.  I then went back to photo bucket and added a filename to the Margie photo per photo bucket's request. So in photo bucket I named the file, "phil" and placed the newly named identical file here.  The filename however when I downloaded the newly renamed file remained the same. 

So Photobucket names these files and the filename is 18 characters long.  Historically windows OS doesn't like long file names and that may be the problem.

phil

Hannie

Phil, when you upload an image Photobucket ads characters to the file name for security reasons.

You can disable this scrambling of your uploaded file names by going to your Photobucket settings, Privacy tab, then uncheck: File Name Scrambling.

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

philbach

Thanks, Hannie.  
phil

Mhayes

Thanks Hannie for all the information, unfortunately it looks like I am stuck and cannot go back to the date when the problems started: Nov 29 as that was a Window's update. When I tried it ended saying this:
System Restore did not complete successfully. Your computer's system files and setting were not changes. I tried several times and it would not work. The worst part is that when finished I could no longer access the Internet. I tried rebooting with no success, so I went back and restored to the most recent date and now I'm up and running again. I also did the check the hard drive for errors and no problems there.

I cannot open any of the files in question in Paint either. I understand now why the weird extension used by Photobucket as a security measure, but I think it causes problems when after the .jpg they have added .jpg~orginal.

I guess for now I will stay away from downloading or trying to open any files on the Forum until I find a fix.

Thanks again for all the help!

Margie

"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Hannie

Margie it sounds like the file is corrupted during download.  What if you right click on a forum image, copy, then paste in Photoshop?

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Mhayes

Hannie, that won't work either. The weird part is that Pat has the same problem too. I sent an email to Photobucket, but the first reply was to check out their problem section. That was no help, so hopefully I will hear something back from them.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Hannie

Margie, what if you change the file extension from  .jpg~original  to  .jpg?

Have you tried the Photoshop reset?

Hannie

Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Mhayes

Hannie, neither worked. I'm becoming less a fan of Photobucket. Especially since their first line of defense is Robert: "This is an auto-response from Robert, the Photobucket robot." On the other hand Robert was able to write a coherent sentence unlike the rep that I dealt who was farmed out by Wichita's paper from a location unknown--maybe not even on the same planet. There is even a chance that Firefox does not like the extension. For now my brain is fried. Plus, I find it odd that the problem started Oct 29 the same date that Windows did an update, but I cannot refresh back to that date.

We tried.  :-X

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Tess (Tassie D)

It is weird as I can save and open the images with the weird extension. I can also copy/paste them.
Margie are you and Pat with the same internet provider?

It sounds like a windows update has done something along the line. Have you tried control panel/uninstall a program then on the left side under tasks 'view installed updates'? You can then uninstall any that look remotely like they may be the problem.
You would have to reboot after uninstalling.
Tess Cameron
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]