• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Is it just ME?

Started by Ausimax, December 30, 2006, 11:19:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ausimax

Hi.

Is it just me? Or do you find the PhotoShelter site incredibly slow? Typically I wait between 1 and 2 minutes for a page to open, it has to be the slowest site I visit, and the most obtuse.

I recently received an invitation to open a free account where I could upload my OPR images and then transfer them to the OPR Gallery/Folder, the theory being you would then know you images had uploaded OK.

I uploaded an image to try it out, now I can't even find how to get access to that image, woe is me! >:(

OK, I am probably missing something on the site, however the pages take so long to open I just give up in disgust, just trying to find out if this situation is the norm, or is it only me who has trouble.

Max
Wisdom is having a well considered opinion .... and being smart enough to keep it to yourself!     MJS

"Life" is what happens while you are planning other things!

Peter_AUS

Max,

It does seem to have it's moments.  Given that there are a lot of problems in Asia at present because of cut cables from the Tiwan Earthquake, that could be impacting as traffic is re-routed to other connections.

But I do agree it is slow.  Are you on dial-up, cable, ADSL or wireless each has it's own inherent problems.
Regards,

Peter

Ausimax

Hi Peter,

For me it is not moments, its all the time, I have 64/256 Satellite Internet and it is reasonably fast, a little latency with connection, then the pages usually open quite fast, the only other site I know almost as slow is Telstra.

Not a real problem I  suppose, just a sign of getting old and impatient. well the old bit anyway, I've always been impatient. :-[

Max
Wisdom is having a well considered opinion .... and being smart enough to keep it to yourself!     MJS

Peter_AUS

It is most likely the satallite connection as well.  With the graphics etc that slows things down as it is dependant on getting the graphics and then rendering them back into files as well.  See if you can check the site using cable or adsl if you know anyone in the are.  Also are you sharing the satellite connection with foxtel by anychance, if so then bandwidth would be shared too.
Regards,

Peter

pcraft

Hi Max, I haven't been having any slowdowns here.  I'm on cable and am from Canada.  As Peter has said, with the, "cut cables from the Tiwan Earthquake," it could be affecting you in Au (Oz).. I hope it improves real soon for you.

Robert

Peter_AUS

Keep in mind Robert, I'm in Aussieland as well but I am on a 1500/256 ADSL link through Internode and they have their own reduncencies through several links as well.

Max do a tracert to www.oprworkshop.org and see what you ping times are.

This is a good site to check stuff like that as well http://www.dnsstuff.com/
Regards,

Peter

Kenny

Quote from: Peter_AUS on December 31, 2006, 01:11:23 AM
Keep in mind Robert, I'm in Aussieland as well but I am on a 1500/256 ADSL link through Internode and they have their own reduncencies through several links as well.

Max do a tracert to www.oprworkshop.org and see what you ping times are.

Peter,  it's hard to get an accurate ping time on satellite. I used to have it, and satellite is very good, but there is a definite lag in the transmission to and from the satellite.  It killed me in gaming ;)

Max, it could just be something with your ISP's servers. See if it continues if it does, post again so I can maybe see if it's something with your comp.

Kenny :)

But why is the rum gone?

Ausimax

Hi,

Thanks for all the input, it is not a real problem for me, it is only the PhotoShelter site, I use five other photo hosting sites and have no problems with any of them, only PS.
Just wondered if others found that site slow, don't know about sharing with Foxtel, my ISP uses the Optus Satellite, generally not to bad however there are times when it just goes to sleep, try to go to the next page and you just have no connection, then in its own good time it comes back.
Hi Kenny, you came in while I was typing, thanks for your offer, as stated no real prob, just having a pre-new year gripe, and at least it got a conversation going, been pretty quiet of late.

Max