• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Back from the Moore, OK Copy Run

Started by Mhayes, October 17, 2013, 11:05:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mhayes

Hi Everyone,

The three of us: Mike and Pat Sluder, and myself got back from the Moore, OK. This was the first copy run that I was sweating bullets that we would not have enough help. Originally it was thought we had seven volunteer with more waiting in the wings. We even had a group that promised all the help we needed, but in the end it was just us three.

Mike and Pat spent three days driving from Michigan as they were bringing two copy stands and it wasn't practical to fly. I drove from Kansas, but a three hour drive is nothing compared to their three days. Mike was a big help in contacting churches, media, and local city officials about our run. The response seemed to be great, but in the end we had a light turnout. Rick a new volunteer showed up to help Saturday, but didn't get to see much action. Sunday was the best day with a rush within the first hour. With Pat and Mike on the copy stands, people were patient and understood that I was the only one at the greeting table. About that time we had an OU journalism senior that had emailed me earlier about doing a video of OPR's copy run. The day before I asked if perhaps she could help out Sunday and she said yes and would bring her boyfriend along. Both of them help during the first rush and were great. Once she gets the video ready she will send a link for us to view.

It was rewarding for those we could help. Most lost everything and nothing left of their homes. One came from El Reno and got hit and then a month later her father had a heart attack and died. Others told of a relative that didn't make it to the cellar in time and locked himself in the car trunk and survived. Another one had a photo of her sister that died at 16 and that was the only photo she had.

I'm beginning to think tornadoes are the hardest to gauge the need and the turnout. The other problem is that those in charge of collecting lost photos have yet to offer a public viewing.

This will be our last copy run this year and next year we will need to start a fund drive if we hope to do anymore runs.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Tori803

Thank you, Margie, Pat, and Mike, for traveling all the way to Moore. I'm sure those that lost everything in the tornado treasure what's left of their photos more than we can imagine. We can't measure the value of your trip in numbers; rather, it lies in the value of restoring memories, a rare gift it's our privilege to offer  :hug:

Tori
Tori
"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence." -Calvin Coolidge

Mike S.

Hello everyone,

I thought I would post a photo of Margie and Rick Booker our local volunteer hard at work on the copy run.  This is with our first photo owner. 

I would like to thank Ashley Miller and her team at the Moore Library for their help in getting us setup and allowing us to use their facility.  They are very nice people.

Mike
Mike S.

Mhayes

Thanks Mike, I forgot to mention Ashley Miller and the Moore Public Library. Ashely was very supportive and when I asked her if perhaps they could spare some volunteers, she said yes. Because Saturday and Sunday they are working with a reduced staff, she said they would help as needed. Even though we didn't need them, periodically one of them would come in to see how we were doing and offer help. Mike printed up four poster size fliers and mailed them to the library and they were posted at all the doors (3) and at the Library's Information desk. The Moore Library was one of the nicest I have ever been to.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Pat

Margie I have to agree with you that Moore not only has a beautiful library (as an avid reader and patron of my own hometown library I am very jealous) but also the staff could not have been more friendly and helpful.

It was extremely moving to meet the families and hear their memories of the people, events, and history represented in their damaged photos.  They were all without exception in awe of OPR and profoundly grateful for our being there.

Pat
Pat

"Take a deep breath and think of the three things you are grateful for, right in this moment."  -MJ Ryan Author