• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

10-Q, 10-Q, 10-Q*

Started by glennab, May 13, 2013, 07:52:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

glennab

Today I received a gift that will be treasured forever.  My most beloved (and one of my most difficult) restoration was featured on the promotional material for the New York City copy run.  That was bonus enough, especially when Margie told me that she, Chase and Katrin Eismann were among those who chose that image. It was Katrin's books that gave me the courage to attack some of the most difficult of our muck monsters. Margie is a long-time friend. And Chase is ... well...Chase!

Mike Sluder printed the poster on archival paper for me, added a note of thanks for my years of restoring and non-stop rambling on the forum - and then - the most wonderful and unexpected part was the addition of the names and signatures of our admin and distributors, all of whom have become beloved friends and consultants over the years (I can't believe I'm going to mark 7 years with OPR in June).

I'm battling with some very frustrating brain issues and haven't been as active the last couple of years as in the past, but I lurk around the forum and when I'm up to it, welcome our wonderful bunch of newbies and try to help anyone who's having challenges.  I hope by the end of this month I'll know why my gray matter doesn't seem to want to participate in my life any more and that my medical team will find a way to bring me back so I can do what I love most in the world - restoring photos for OPR and annoying the heck out of everyone on the forum.  For heaven's sake, Hannie, I haven't given you grief in WAY too long!

I can't wait to find a frame and get the poster up on the wall.  Thanks, all of you, for this incredible gift - and know that I love you all.

Thank you so much, and a million hugs!
GK

*a very, very old Sesame Street rap - one of my favorites!
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

Candice

You are loved.  :loveit:
Candice

Mhayes

GK, after Mike had sent you a thank you for your generous donation, he mentioned you would like to have the file for the New York flier. That I was able to send to you, but it was small and not poster size. Mike then sent an email to the inner team with the idea of him printing the flier at poster size to match what was on the window of the SVA. Mike also suggested having our signatures as personal touch and we all loved the idea.

May this poster bring you cheer every time you look at it my friend.

:loveit:

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Tori803

Just wanted to add my thanks for all your hard work Glenna. I really appreciated the tutorials you put together which really taught me a lot!
Tori
"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence." -Calvin Coolidge

bjtx

Glenna, congratulations on your well-deserved honor!
It would be a pleasure to see the image on your poster, if not the whole poster.
Betty
(aka - Betty )  CS6, PS CC,  Win 8.1; 175+ restorations so far & hope to do more :) 
Favorite site http://yourshot.nationalgeographic.com/daily-dozen/

glennab

Thanks, everyone, for the sweet, kind words.  Betty, I'm going to post the original poster/flier that was shown in New York City.  It still blows me away! Beneath the small copy at the bottom is where my long-time OPR pals expressed their thanks and signed the poster.  It's so large that I'm reluctant to pull it out of the tube to photograph until I can get it framed.

Candy, you are very much loved in return!

Many hugs ...

What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

Mhayes

Hi GK,

Here is a copy of your poster that Mike Sluder put together.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Candice

I remember how hard Glenna worked on this one.  And the outcome showed!!
Candice

schen

Glenna,

Besides the wonder restorations you did, you were the first one with more than 1000 posts.  Your participation and your advices are much appreciated.

Shujen
Shujen Chen
Windows 10, Photoshop CS6

Pat

We are all pulling for you Glenna.  Speedy recovery.  I must say you're recent posts and emails indicate you're a lot sharper than a good many of us ever hope to be   :hug:

Pat
Pat

"Take a deep breath and think of the three things you are grateful for, right in this moment."  -MJ Ryan Author

glennab

Margie, thanks for posting the entire poster as Mike revised it, with all of your signatures.  I can't think of a more wonderful gift from my pals at OPR - or from anyone else, for that matter.

Shujen - Professor! - I was way ahead of everyone on posts until the brain fade.  Now most of admin has overtaken me, but if I'm able to get myself together, you should be warned that I'll once again be "she who will NOT shut up!"  One of my joys was interacting with other volunteers and diving in to help work on the challenges they were facing.  I enjoyed that as much as I enjoyed working on my own muck monsters!

Candy - our military mama - we've been at this for a long time together.  I remember all the help you gave me on my military couple - one of my very first restorations.  Thanks for the compliment on this particular one.  I think it will always be my most beloved - both because of the challenge and also because it's such a wonderful image.

Pat - thanks for the encouragement.  I have very lucid moments, but I also have times when I don't function well at all.  We're not sure what the problem is.  I watched a pay-per-view movie a couple of nights ago.  It was so good that I watched it 3 times.  I didn't remember but a few minutes of the first hour when I watched it the second time.  And I've turned some of my microwaved meals into hockey pucks, because I can't remember how much time to allow - or sometimes even how to set the time.  (I love the popcorn setting.  All I have to do is press that and press "start!")

When I really feel stupid, I go back and read some of my early posts (especially the Biloxi Beacon) to remind myself that I have a pretty good brain - it's just being stubborn right now.

Hugs and love to all of you
G

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

Candice

Candy - our military mama - we've been at this for a long time together.  I remember all the help you gave me on my military couple - one of my very first restorations.  Thanks for the compliment on this particular one.  I think it will always be my most beloved - both because of the challenge and also because it's such a wonderful image.

Girl we have been at this a long time.  We may be two that were here before OPR was born.  I was learning via a group called Retouch Pro when the call went out.  I've been working ever since then.  We seen changes in OPR but the one thing that is a constant is the dedication of those that serve here.

As for a favorite... I'd have to say mine was the banner with General George C. Patton.  What an honor to work on that piece of history.  However, all the soldiers I have worked on were gifts to me.  Many a tear was shed over the men and women done in restoration.   Gratitude can never be repaid for all those in service to our country.   

Glenna, in some small way, you and I and all those on OPR are a part of history, too.

Candice

glennab

Candy, I was just recently thinking that we are indeed leaving a legacy with our photo restorations.

I've always wanted to be an agent for good in this world.  I remember when Hurricane Andrew hit South Florida, IM and I wanted so badly to go down and help with the clean-up.  But the area was off-limits to anyone not working with an organization (with good reason!).  We were heartbroken.

OPR has allowed me to feel as if I've left part of myself in a very meaningful way to the people for whom I've done my restorations - as have you and the rest of our incredible volunteers. I'm proud to leave that legacy, and the poster was the icing on the cake.  I'm proud to have worked with you, since we were both there at the very beginning.  It's been a great ride.  I'll always be an OPRster.

Hugs
GK

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

Candice

Hasn't it been a great ride?!!  Varoooooom!!  :loveit:  :hug:
Candice

glennab

It has, indeed!  Rawrrrrrrrr!

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)