• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

OPR copy run at Seaside heights, NJ

Started by schen, May 03, 2013, 11:21:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

schen

OPR is doing a copy run at Seaside Heights, NJ for the victims of Sandy Friday 5/3 to Sunday 5/5.

The now famous roller-coaster blown into the sea:

Home destroyed:

Home Depot at Seaside Heights, NJ hosts the OPR copy run.  Great host.

First customers:

DLE doing the copy:

Mike S. doing the copy while Pat is watching:

Paulpegg and Barbara working at a copy stand:

We were on TV news:

Shujen Chen
Windows 10, Photoshop CS6

Tori803

Thanks for sharing Shujen! Hoping you will be very busy this weekend!
Tori
"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence." -Calvin Coolidge

Mhayes

Thanks Shujen for the great coverage. Now that I'm on the other side it is so great to be able to see so soon what is going on. Before today the area had no Internet service on Thursday, so Shujen was texting and sending me photos by phone. Friday I got a request to do a phone interview for KYW Newsradio 1060 in Philadelphia, PA. The interesting thing about the interview is that it was taped and different parts were played at random. Since this station is owned by CBS, it had on their website part of the phone interview and a video taken by the news crew CBS 3 Philly. Thanks to reporter/anchor/editor Dave Madden asking if they could link to our website where people could donate.

A big thanks to the news crew and to all the OPR volunteers making this run a success. You guys rock!

http://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/2013/05/03/volunteer-group-restoring-damaged-family-photos-for-hurricane-sandy-victims/

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

schen

Lauren Wanko of NJ TV spent the whole morning with us Friday interviewing everybody and observed the process of our copy run.  Here is her great news report:

http://www.njtvonline.org/njtoday/video/operation-photo-rescue-restore-precious-mementos-for-sandy-victims/

Shujen Chen

Mike S.

Margie,

This is the link to the broadcast from NJTV (PBS) in New Jersey.  Lauren Wanko, the reporter, spent about 1/2 day Friday morning with us filming.  This has aired yesterday at 6:00pm, 7:30pm and 11:00pm and will air again this morning at 6:30am.  All four of the TV Stations that were on site were really nice.

http://www.njtvonline.org/njtoday/video/operation-photo-rescue-restore-precious-mementos-for-sandy-victims/

Mike
Mike S.

Mike S.

Looks like Shujen posted while I was posting mine. 

Mike
Mike S.

Tori803

Tori

Mike S.

Mike S.

bjtx

Thanks  Shujen & Mike for sharing the event happenings.
 I appreciate that Mike pointed out that some photos require many hours, (even weeks) to complete the restoration.  Often, it seems that people not familiar with image editing think we are like Samantha (the witch) & just twitch our nose & the work is done. 
Looking forward to the next updates.

(aka - Betty )  CS6, PS CC,  Win 8.1; 175+ restorations so far & hope to do more :) 
Favorite site http://yourshot.nationalgeographic.com/daily-dozen/

Mhayes

Thanks Mike and Shujen for the links. I have been so impressed with how helpful the media has been. Yes, we are a news story, but they are going all out and taking a lot of time to do a first class job. With Lauren Wanko of NJ TV PBS, she was doing a lot of corresponding with me by emails and then she asked for the jpg files of the photos that appear on our brochure so that would have a good copy to show on TV. On the KYW Newsradio 1060 and CBS broadcast they asked permission on their website to link to our fundraising page.
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

jneil2

Looks like this is going to be a very successful copy run.  Good media coverage.  Thanks, Shujen, for the photos.

Jan

schen

Friday was a busy day.  Besides doing photo intakes, we had four TV news teams and one printing news reporter. 
They were all genuinely interested in our work and spent long time talking to each of us.  The reports were wonderful and we were hoping
to get more turn out on Saturday.

We started the day at a diner David suggested.  The place has the 50's diner style with eclectic wall decors.

The food was delicious and the service was great!
Morning sun shined on the beautiful fruit on the waffle.

When we got to Home Depot before opening time, Mike and Pat already finished a stack of photos from an earlier customer.
Saturday opening crew (sorry folks who came in later.  Will try to catch you tomorrow)  From left, Shujen, David, Jean, Leslie, Mike, and Pat.

Saturday is the wedding day.  We took in many wedding albums.  A young woman brought in her parent's album that was soaked in the storm water. 
The pictures were still in pretty good shape but the album was not.  The team decided to disassemble the album so that it would be easier to capture the images.

The team was trying to disassemble a wedding album and the owner was watching.

Liz, who was the person set up the connection with Home Depot for us, joined us in the afternoon.  She jumped in and worked with us immediately.

Liz was cleaning the frame with a coat of deposit and mold.

Liz brought a FEMA reporter to record our work with a video recorder.  The video will be featured on FEMA website.

The FEMA videographer was interviewing a woman who brought in her wedding album to be restored.

Shujen Chen

Hannie

Shujen, thanks so much for the lovely report!  The pictures are great and give a good impression of the copy run.  The waffles look delicious...

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Tori803

Great report, Shujen! Makes me wish I was there to help too!

Tori

schen

The Team OPR (in black) with the Team Home Depot (in orange)

Shujen Chen