• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Need a little help

Started by tflyin2, February 23, 2013, 12:11:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tflyin2

Hi Guys, I'm about finished with this one but I need a little help with a couple items.  After rebuilding the gentleman on the left side of the image he appeared too sharp and stood out in the image.  I added a little gaussian blur to set him back a little.  Question, does that look better now???  Also, Bambi pointed out that his texture dosen't match the rest of the image.  Does anyone have a good technique to match textures.  I have no ideal how thats done and really I don't think I even see a difference.  Suggestions would really be appricated.  And if you see anything else that needs attention, please let me know.....thanks in advance...  Here are the original and the repaired images....

Ted

Bambi

Hi, Ted:

I can't offer much help on rebuilding the face and the camera, but I want to point out that some of the little white streaks that you carefully repaired were rice being thrown. You left the rice on the ground, but without the streaks, the picture doesn't look quite right.

Bambi

Hannie

Great repair job you did on the man on the left Ted!
I wonder if you soften the outline of the repairs a little and lessen he dark shadown on the side of his face some, it would blend in better with the rest of the image?

Hannie

Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

tflyin2

Hey guys....I'm about finished with this one and need a few suggestions on the gentleman on the right side of the image.  I had to rebuild his face and clean up his suit.  One suggestion I had recieved was that he looks too sharp and his texture didn't match the rest of the picture....Take a look and let me know what you all think.  How do I match the texture with the rest of the picture.  I tried adding a little gaussian blur but I can't tell if that help any.   thoughts please

Here are the before and after images...

Thanks in advance   

ldurkin

the contrast seems a little too high to me.  But maybe that it just because I'm too young to know what old black and white photos looked like new.

tflyin2

Thanks Bambi, Hannie and Ldurkin.....I'll go back and see if i can incorporate those suggestions.  Bambi I'll put those rice streaks back in, it shouldn't be to diffficult to do that....thanks

tflyin2

Hey Guys, heres my latest repair on this image.  I added back the flying rice and reduced the shadows  and contrast on the gentleman on the right side of the image.  I also added a bit more texture to him...how does it look now....????

thanks,

TED

Pat

Hi Ted,

Nice job :up2:

The forum is a wonderful learning environment.  It can be kind of confusing to other volunteers who are trying to follow the progress of a restoration from start to finish when photos are removed from a previous topic and multiple new topics are started for a particular photo.

Pat
Pat

"Take a deep breath and think of the three things you are grateful for, right in this moment."  -MJ Ryan Author

Hannie

Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Mhayes

Ted, please do not move or delete your work in progress from your post on the forum. I realized that you are new and probably do not realize that when you post a photo once it does not stay there if you move it from your either the host site or your computer. For example: With Photobucket if you move and image either from their site or your computer, the link is broken and you will see the error message shown. You can add the photo back in, but it will now have a new link.

If this happens very often it makes the post somewhat worthless as there is nothing to compare to. Please in the future do not remove or move your photos. I have been posting images from Photobucket since 2007 and I still have an abundance of free space. On my hard drive I create a folder specifically for Photobucket so that I do not have missing links.

Thanks,

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

glennab

Hi Ted

Regarding your question about recovering texture:  I've found that once I've done my repairs, I can usually pull texture from pristine areas (if there are any!) with the patch tool and get a pretty decent result.  It's not always the solution, but worth a try.

GK
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)