• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Show off your workspace!

Started by Kenny, November 11, 2006, 11:40:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

glennab

Dave -- I don't care what the PC "weenies" say, MACs RULE!  I can't imagine having anything else.  I shall always contend that they are utterly elegant!

Kurt, you have what looks like a wonderfully comfy personal space -- and with much character (as I would expect from you!)

And Kerry, those windows don't look like anything but the real item.  They are lovely.  Bless you for taking in and loving a foster child. I admire your courage and generosity - and I suspect he gives you much joy in return.  Kids are the best!

Hugs to all of you!

GG

What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

kstruve

Kerry,
Thanks for the compliments.  Yes, the prints on the wall behind my work computer are my work.  I work for a design firm where I specialize in Architectural illustrations.  The one on my screen is of a project in L.A. called L.A. Live.  It's being billed as the Times Square of the West.  I have a few of my renderings on CG Society's website at: http://kstruve.cgsociety.org/gallery/.  (This isn't a plug, as I'm currently gainfully employed)   ;)

Glenna,
Did you say "Weenies"?!  LOL!

I'm jealous of everyone's workspace.  I'm especially jealous of Christine's view!  I live in an apartment and have a spectacular view of U.S. 36.  :-\

Kurt

kiska

I'm a MACKIE, I'm a MACKIE!!!!!   :cool:

Maybe Mr. Jobs would like to donate a LOADED Mac Pro..........................to ME ME ME!!!!!!!  :funny:
kiska
Photoshop 2021, MacPro

glennab

Kurt - Yes indeed.  The word is "weenies."  Scot Kelby has been using that term for years in his magazines.  He's a die-hard Mac guy.  Of course one of my PC friends calls me a (and I hope this doesn't offend anyone's sensibilities) a Mac Hole.  And so goes the never-ending discussion.  I'll try to bring it up to a higher plane next time, but I just couldn't resist!

Kiska - good luck getting that Mac from Mr. Jobs.  I did a lot of groveling with a number of companies trying to get an upgraded Mac for my restoration work.  (Including the Apple store).  Being a lousy groveler, I got nowhere.  My old G3 is wearing out.  So I bit the bullet and talked to my rep at one of the catalogs that my company and I have used for years.  She was at least able to get a discount on a Mac Pro and all the software for me, but she tried to get a free one, and no dice.  However, the new computer is well worth it (the numbers are worn off my credit card, but what the heck!  It's in a great cause).

Have a great day!

GG

P.S. Kurt - your art is gorgeous.  You must love your job!
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

cmpentecost

Kurt,

Your gallery and artwork is absolutely amazing.  I am very impressed.  What is your background in learning how to do all of this?

Yes, I enjoy my views as well.  The view I had from my home office in FL was our driveway, so this is a big improvement!

Chris

kstruve

Chris and Glenna,

Thank you!  I started out as an Art major in school, then somehow along the way, someone convinced me that the only future for me down that path was either as a starving artist or art teacher, so I switched to Architecture.  So I was an Architect for 5 years doing medical Architecture (hospitals, surgery centers, cancer centers, blah blah blah).  I hated it, so I carved out a niche for myself as the company's graphics guy.  I would do all the computer models and renderings and animations.  After a couple years of doing that for a bunch of anal Architects with tight wallets, I got a great job at a design firm, where I could really express myself artistically and work on a lot of different and more exciting types of projects (and make a lot more money).  I'm coming up on two years at my current job and still like it a lot, but I'm starting to feel the itch to go out on my own.  Also, my finance' finishes up graduate school in a couple of months, then a week later we get married and we've been thinking about moving to Oregon.  But it might be another year or so before that actually happens.

So that's been my life for the past decade.

Kurt

glennab

Hi Kurt -- Sounds as if you've had an interesting career and can look forward to exciting things in your future.  How wonderful is that!

Just keep in mind that even if you move to Oregon, we'll find you!

I checked out your gallery and got such a kick out of the one comment you got on your "Halloween" painting.  Talk about missing the point!

GG

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

cmpentecost

This isn't my workspace, but looking out my living room window.  They are yearling mule deer that decided to come up onto our deck and look in the windows.  It was quite hilarious!

Christine

RosyBijou

Oh, Christine, what a great shot!  Love it!
Kerry
(aka RosyBijou)

glennab

Hi Chris

My goodness, what a wonderful face!  I'm envious that you're far enough away from urban areas to have such delightful visitors.

Have a wonderful day!

GG

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

kiska

QuoteI'm envious that you're far enough away from urban areas to have such delightful visitors.

Glenna, you might want to rethink that. Two of SEVERAL visitors last summer.

kiska
Photoshop 2021, MacPro

glennab

Kiska -- Wow!  I wouldn't want a face-to-face with one of those guys, although a couple of years ago we had a beautiful black racer in our back yard -- probably 5-feet long.  I accidentally stepped on him (I was backing up and saw him peripherally - thought he was a soaker hose), and he reared up, but didn't attack.  I sounded like an idiot out in the middle of the yard going "I'm sorry, I'm sorry, don't leave!"  But he took off.  Otherwise all we see are lizards (our mini-dragons), possums and rats.  The park across the street has a sign that says "don't molest the alligators" - but I've lived here for 40 years and have yet to see a gator. Gator turtles, yes.  Thankfully, gators, NO!

Have a great day!
Glenna

(To anyone who read this before I edited it, I wanted to make it clear that I didn't deliberately step on the snake.  I adore all living things and would never knowingly harm even the ones that aren't particularly cuddly and cute.)

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

kstruve

Great pictures!  We get our fair share of wildlife around here too.  I haven't seen any snakes yet, though!  We see coyotes, foxes, deer, bears and even cougars.  Around my apartment building, we get a lot of raccoons.  Last year I was watching tv and I heard what sounded like a child screaming.  So I opened up the door and looked around and saw a mama raccoon and a tiny baby raccoon on the walkway about 7 feet away.  The baby saw me and started waddling over to me.  I thought he was going to come into my apartment and the mama raccoon started looking agitated so I quickly closed the door.  My door has a sidelight (a tall, narrow window that extends to the ground) and through it I could see the baby raccoon - he was standing on his hind legs and had his "hands" on the window, as if he was saying "let me in!"  He was so darn cute!  Anyway, that's my wildlife story.

Kurt

videosean

A cluttered desk = a cluttered mind... but it's better than an empty desk any day  ;D
I'm just too lazy to clean up until it starts getting in my way and I figured this would be a good break from staring at the image I've been working on today.  Click for bigger... if you really want.  The server hosting this is out of frame to the right.  It's a Dell Optiplex with a Pentium III 733MHz.  My main machine under the desk is built from scratch, AMD 1800+ with an Asus a7v333 + RAID with 1.5GB of RAM.  It amazes me sometimes that I built it 4 years and it still doesn't feel 'so slow I mus build a new one NOW!' a good 70% of the time  :)
The desk was pulled from a dumpster at my apt complex about 2 years ago, I was using a drafting table with a self-mounted adjustable keyboard drawer before that.  My chair is also out of the frame but I would imagine it was made sometime in the 1970's.  It's all steel (aside from the seat, back and armrest pads) with wheels, swivel & tilt and it's comfortable enough for me to spend 10-12 hours in it without ill effect... but it creaks when I swivel or tilt and for the life of me I can't make that stop!  >:(  It was saved from the dumpster at work many years ago.  There's nothing wrong with the hard drives on the desk... other than I can't fit more than 6 of them in my case at once.  I use a USB to IDE adapter and use them for various backups... they don't always live there on the desk but it's convenient for now.  Nobody really knows what the drips on the wall are from... yeah, the maintenance guy here is a real genius  ::)
The Mt Dew is also out of frame to the lower right, next to my chair, almost always a 2 liter.

Quote from: KennyNo one is really sure what exactly is in this drawer. Geeks rarely throw away old, scatched cd's. They go to the drawer to die.
I must look into a desk with drawers sometime LOL
i have an unhealthy internet obsession & hide behind multiple layers of ironic humor and sarcasm...

Kenny

Quote from: videosean on March 04, 2007, 12:46:17 AM
A cluttered desk = a cluttered mind... but it's better than an empty desk any day  ;D
I'm just too lazy to clean up until it starts getting in my way and I figured this would be a good break from staring at the image I've been working on today.  Click for bigger... if you really want.  The server hosting this is out of frame to the right.  It's a Dell Optiplex with a Pentium III 733MHz.  My main machine under the desk is built from scratch, AMD 1800+ with an Asus a7v333 + RAID with 1.5GB of RAM.  It amazes me sometimes that I built it 4 years and it still doesn't feel 'so slow I mus build a new one NOW!' a good 70% of the time  :)
The desk was pulled from a dumpster at my apt complex about 2 years ago, I was using a drafting table with a self-mounted adjustable keyboard drawer before that.  My chair is also out of the frame but I would imagine it was made sometime in the 1970's.  It's all steel (aside from the seat, back and armrest pads) with wheels, swivel & tilt and it's comfortable enough for me to spend 10-12 hours in it without ill effect... but it creaks when I swivel or tilt and for the life of me I can't make that stop!  >:(  It was saved from the dumpster at work many years ago.  There's nothing wrong with the hard drives on the desk... other than I can't fit more than 6 of them in my case at once.  I use a USB to IDE adapter and use them for various backups... they don't always live there on the desk but it's convenient for now.  Nobody really knows what the drips on the wall are from... yeah, the maintenance guy here is a real genius  ::)
The Mt Dew is also out of frame to the lower right, next to my chair, almost always a 2 liter.

Quote from: KennyNo one is really sure what exactly is in this drawer. Geeks rarely throw away old, scatched cd's. They go to the drawer to die.
I must look into a desk with drawers sometime LOL

That, my friend, is truly a work of art. Rarely do I run across something that speaks to the geek in me the way your work area does.

The drives are a nice touch. You should consider finding a few more and build your own Drivehenge. Then it would be perfect.  :loveit:

*edit*

I'm still looking at that picture. It's beyond amazing, the more I look the more I see. I notice racing pedals but no steering wheel. I've heard of guys using them to strafe in FPS, is this the case with yours?

But why is the rum gone?