• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Channels Tip - Photoshop

Started by vhansen, November 05, 2006, 11:29:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vhansen

Per request, I'm posting the steps to utilize a good channel within an image.

Step 1
Have the LAYERS and CHANNEL palettes open next to your image.

Step 2
It's much easier to see channels when they are grayscale.  By default, Photoshop shows channels in Red, Green, and Blue.  To view the channels in grayscale:
•  Locate PREFERENCES on the MAIN MENU. 
•  Select DISPLAY AND CURSORS and uncheck the box for "Display Color Channels in Color"

Step 3
On the CHANNELS palette, click once on the layer you want to use. 
In this example, I'm going to select the BLUE channel as it has the most image information.

Step 4
From the MAIN MENU, choose "SELECT", then from that menu choose "ALL".  You should see the "marching ants" around the border of your image indicating it's been selected.

Step 5
From the MAIN MENU, choose "EDIT", then from that menu choose "COPY".  This step copies the channel to the clipboard.
•  Click once on the "RGB" channel in the CHANNELS palette.

Step 6
From the MAIN MENU, choose "EDIT', then from that menu choose "PASTE".  This step will paste the channel into a new layer in the LAYERS palette.
• Set this new layer's OPACITY to "LUMINOSITY"

Step 7 (optional)
At this point you can see the "good" blue channel with the color from the original showing through. This is a much easier fix.  For example, in the image below, I've added a transparent layer "layer 2", with it's OPACITY set to "Color".  I used the eyedropper tool to select colors and then painted on the transparent layer.  Now it's just a matter of cleaning up the smaller damaged areas.

That's it.

glennab

Vikki

GREAT information.  Thanks for posting it!

GG
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

Kenny

Thank you, Vikki!  :up:

Kenny :)

But why is the rum gone?

cmpentecost

Thank you Vicki.  You're my hero on this picture!  :up:

Chris

marylou

Great tutorial, thanks for sharing!

cmpentecost

Vicki,

Your tutorial saved me once again.  I am working on a non-OPR restoration, that is covered with orangish-red spots.  Your tutorial is working beautifully in repairing the photo.  Thank you again for posting this tutorial for all of us at OPR.

Christine

SlideConverter

Just what I was searching for - thanks. 

I made a set of actions for all channels (RGB, L, CMYK). I will gladly send the .atn file to anyone that would like to have it.

Thanks again

Richard

sahoward

Quote from: SlideConverter on December 06, 2008, 04:33:13 PM

I made a set of actions for all channels (RGB, L, CMYK). I will gladly send the .atn file to anyone that would like to have it.

Thanks again

Richard

Richard, as a new volunteer, I would love to have the .atn files for this.  It will make it so much easier!

How shall I get you my email address?  Just post it here?

Thanks so much

Sara Howard

cmpentecost

Sarah,

You can send him a personal message or an email.  Click on his user name above his avatar and it will take you to that information.

Thanks for doing the actions on the channels Richard.  That will be a great time saver!

Christine