• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Pitfalls to Avoid

Started by Mhayes, November 25, 2012, 02:46:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mhayes

A Warm Welcome to our New Volunteers.

When first starting out I know it can be confusing, especially in choosing a photo to restore and the guidelines to follow. Added to this confusion is to avoid certain pitfalls when in Photo Shelter. The OPR side of Photo Shelter was donated for our use when the owners saw one of their employees having trouble uploading a restored Katrina photo and knew there was a better way. Photo Shelter set aside a site for us with 100 GB storage space and gave us the Multi User Team account that would allow us to have multiple editors and a range of options that would have cost us over $300/month if not donated. I cannot say enough good things about Photo Shelter and how we would not be where we are here today without them. However, the only hiccup in this is knowing that some of the options you see in Photo Shelter are carry overs from their professional side where photographers store their photos and have them out for the public to view and buy.

In an effort to try to ease some of the confusion and point out options that are to be ignored, it is hoped this will clear up some of the confusion. Click on each shot if you want a larger view.

Here is what the Distributor sees when he/she views their gallery and checks for comments by volunteers wanting specific photos. Notice on this example there are more than one and should you not get a photo, it helps to make more than one choice. Stick to one gallery to lessen confusion.

Here comes the TRICKY PART: Ignore Download as that is a function of the professional side.

If you do not make a comment as shown, the distributor will not know you want the photo.

The easiest way to access Photo Shelter's Gallery and Uploader is to be logged into the OPR Forum and click on the link shown on the left hand side of the Forum page.

An even faster way is to use Photo Shelter's Downloader is to make a short cut on your Desktop

When you upload back to Photo Shelter, the Distributor will see the return. Although your name is an auto fill, please type in the gallery you got the photo from as it speeds things up.

Hope that helps and let us know if there is something else you find confusing.

Thanks,

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Bambi

Thanks for putting this together. It will be very helpful to new members.

Hannie

Great tips Margie.

Thanks,

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

pmartin74

One other tip you might add.  If you already have a PhotoShelter account and you're using the same email address used with OPR, you'll need to coordinate passwords.  I solved the problem by simply using the same password for OPR that I use on my own PhotoShelter account.

Mhayes

Pat, thank for the good advice.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

wildemoon

This is the screen I got when I uploaded. I couldn't find any other place, so I uploaded here. The original image was from Bambi's gallery. This is my first submission, so I'm reeaaaaallly hoping it actually went through. Does this look correct? I put the name of the image as the description.

Lynnya

Hi wildemoon.. I've found this to be the easiest upload method - sits on your desktop..  when you finish your restore you save the image under the exact same file name just add "done" or "final" to the file name before the jpg.  When you use photoshelter desktop upload you navigate to that exact file click on it and then click on transfer at the top... fill in the transfer window with just the name of the family like "RivetG - Bambi" the window will pop up when you click transfer - ignore the unspecified part and just what I just said..

just make sure you find your final restored file.. your folders probably are not as messy as mine.. I work in a mess most of the time.
Here's the link you need to get uploader.

https://support.photoshelter.com/hc/en-us/articles/203373570-PhotoShelter-Desktop-Uploader

If this is as clear as mud - private message me or ask in the forum.  We all were a bit confused in the beginning.. lots of nice people in this group to help.
Look forward to seeing your work.
never giving up......learning from others as I go...

Hannie

Hi Beth,

Like Lynn I also like the Photoshelter desktop up-loader, it makes it so much easier to upload your finished restore.
I am not sure what the page is that you get when you try to upload, I could not emulate it.

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Tess (Tassie D)

Yes Wildemoon is correct. The upload page now looks like that when logged in as a volunteer. I have updated the how to thread.

Tess Cameron
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Hannie

Thanks Tess, that is a big help.

:up2:

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]