• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Hurricane Sandy - October 2012

Started by Sharon, October 30, 2012, 01:56:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sharon

Is OPR going to be able to help restore photographs caused by Hurricane Sandy in the future?

Best regards,

Sharon

Mhayes

Hi Sharon,

Welcome to OPR and great to see you on the forum!

OPR is here to help anyone hit by a natural disaster. Our ability to help is influenced by having funds available for copy runs---where we show up in person with a group of volunteers and set up our camera equipment to make copies of damaged photos. The second thing is that we need to have our current crop of damaged photos restored to make room for the new. Right now we are finishing up the Hummelstown, PA photos and will ready for new photos. The third thing is for volunteers to help. Sounds simple enough, but OPR is basically carrying on with a core group of volunteers who do the bulk of the restores.

Money and number of volunteers will be the key to who we will be able to help. At the present we are working to help those in the South hit by Hurricane Irene. Hopefully we will be able also to help those hit by Hurricane Sandy. On the latter, because of the sheer size the storm covered;  I'm hoping that some of our volunteers in those state might me able to organize a local run. OPR is able to help directly those who contact us for help and are able to get copies (around 20) to us of their damage photos per our specifications and a signed release form. By doing that they don't have to wait on us coming there.

Right now the most important thing to help is to get the word out about us and how to care for the damaged photos. Some of the news reports that I am hearing say that the owners may not be able to return to their homes for 5 days and that mold will be a huge problem. If left unchecked, mold will destroy those photos.

Thanks,

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

smceachron

We have been glued to the TV since Sandy started as we have family in Phili and S. Carolina.  I can't express my thoughts on the tragedy as it still seems it's from a Spielberg movie. I hope all loved ones are safe as the un-burying of sand and water begins.  Our thoughts and prayers are with everyone.

~Sandi and Norm
~ Sandi :)