• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Thoughts with the People om the Gulf Coast

Started by Mhayes, August 29, 2012, 03:36:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mhayes

Hurricane Isaac is marking the 7th anniversary to the day that Hurricane Katrina hit the Gulf coast. Even though Isaac is only a one it is already causing widespread flooding and damage, because it is sitting in one spot. The levies in New Orleans are holding, but I heard on the Weather Channel that one of the levies elsewhere was going to force to have to have a controlled breach done in order to get some of the water down. The problem is that they will have to wait till they can get in there.

As I watch this on TV, it's good to see LA is better prepared, but there is still going to be widespread damage and hopefully no loss of lives. It is hard to believe that Hurricane Katrina took 1,836 lives seven years ago.

Some news stories:

http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Latest-News-Wires/2012/0829/Katrina-anniversary-Seven-years-later-Hurricane-Isaac-impacts-Mississippi

http://blog.gulflive.com/mississippi-press-news/2012/08/mississippi_authorities_report.html

http://www.newsday.com/news/nation/hurricane-isaac-spins-into-new-orleans-on-slow-slog-inland-1.3931556

http://www.weather.com/newscenter/tropical/

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Tori803

I heard on the news that some areas of the state that hadn't flooded during hurricane Katrina are having troubles with flooding now. Hope it doesn't get too bad.

Tori
Tori
"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence." -Calvin Coolidge

Hannie

Keeping my fingers crossed for all those in Louisiana who live near levies that are not as strong as they are now in New Orleans.

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Tori803

Evidently some 800 homes are underwater in the area, but the storm surge is receding now. However, Mississippi is having to deal with tornadoes generated by the Isaac now.

Tori
Tori
"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence." -Calvin Coolidge

Pat

It's possible that several of our OPR volunteers living Florida, Alabama, Georgia, and Texas are experiencing the effects of this storm.

Kiska how are you?  Tigers for Tomorrow?
Glenna are you okay?
Betty how are you?

I am sure we have many other volunteers experiencing this storm.  Please check in as you are able and let us know how you are doing.

Pat

Pat

"Take a deep breath and think of the three things you are grateful for, right in this moment."  -MJ Ryan Author

kiska

Just a spit of rain in northeast Ala. Couldn't have used more, but won't complain.
kiska
Photoshop 2021, MacPro

Pat

Good to learn you were out of harms way Kiska.

Pat
Pat

"Take a deep breath and think of the three things you are grateful for, right in this moment."  -MJ Ryan Author

Mhayes

Hi Everyone,

The Forum has really gotten dead these last few days, but that doesn't mean it is quiet behind the scenes. We are putting out feelers on helping those in the Gulf states and will help as much as we can. Right now the issue is to get out how to preserve photos that have been flooded.

I know that Glenna is fine as she is spends a lot of time on Facebook and Betty I haven't heard from. I'm also going to contact a lady that we did her photos from Hurricane Katrina and see how she is doing.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Hannie

Margie, glad to hear Glenna is fine and yes, it is important to get the word out how to give first aid to flood damaged photos.

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Pat

Thanks for the update on activities behind the scenes Margie.  Although it will be a while before the affected people's lives are back together enough for an actual copy run, it's so important to get word to them asap on how to care for their damaged photos in the meantime.

Glad to learn Glenna is okay.  Hope Betty checks in soon.

Pat

Pat

Candice

Candice

Mhayes

Not yet on the radio, but yes, that will be a good option.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]