• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Tropical Storm Debby

Started by Mhayes, June 25, 2012, 11:26:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mhayes

Hi Everyone,

I'm wondering how many of you are in the path of Tropical Storm Debby? GK and Kiska, are you two feeling the effects of the storm?

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Mhayes

Hi Everyone,

I've heard from Kiska today, so I know she is OK, but not Glenna. What's worse is that she is in an area that is cut off because of flooding. She may not have electricity and unable to email. GK, hope you and IM and the little furballs are safe and staying dry. Here are a couple of links telling about St. Petersburg, FL where GK lives.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5jTFnmmufhO5gJtXkSywBzPe66T3A?docId=640f7f5be87f4f40bd7da2e6c0fbe1e5

http://www.wtsp.com/weather/article/260991/3/Debby-floods-homes-cars-in-St-Petersburg

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Candice

What a mess.  You just never know where trouble is going to hit. 

Candice

Hannie

That doesn't sound good, hope Glenna's home is OK!

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

kiska

No problems. I'm in NE Alabama.
kiska
Photoshop 2021, MacPro

Tess (Tassie D)

I hope GK is ok and everyone else in the path of this storm.
Tess Cameron
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Mhayes

I hope GK is OK too and wish I had her phone number (if a cell as landline is probably down) to call. It sounds like there is massive power outages and that is not going to get better anytime soon. Tonight will be when high tide and the surge should hit. On top of that is the problem that the storm is moving very slowing and dumping hugs amounts of rain. Here is the CBS Monring video and text:
http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-505263_162-57460303/ts-debby-relentless-in-soggy-assault-on-fla/

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

PhotoBob

PhotoBob
"Every cat should come with his own instruction manual."  -- BP Collin

lurch

My first thought on hearing about Debby was for GK. Hope she, IM, and the furballs are safe.
<C>

Mhayes

Hi Everyone,

I just got off the phone with GK and she and IM and the furballs are all safe. She hasn't been able to get on the Internet as a neighbor's tree came down on a line and they are without service. Thanks to David Greensberg for calling me back with a phone number.

GK will post when things are up and running. The one thing I couldn't believe is that she is in a safer place than if she was in Tampa. I look at the map and she is surrounded by water, but I guess that acts as a buffer.

GK, we can all heave a sigh of relieve that all of you are OK!

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

glennab

Hi OPRsters,

We're back online and our little area held up very well.  I just watched the coverage that Margie posted here, since our cable TV line still isn't on and probably won't be until tomorrow.  I had no idea the thrashing some of our county took. One of the most frightening things about living on the peninsula of Pinellas County is that when there are high winds and water, there's no way to leave except straight up the coast.  The Skyway bridge is closed, because it's so high that the winds are very dangerous.  The approaches to the two bridges to Tampa are usually under water.  And many times, north county is under water.  When that happens, there's nowhere to go.  Fortunately, there's something about our being surrounded by water that keeps the worst of most storms north of us.  Even the summer thunder storms usually batter the northern part of our county, and sometimes we'll get just a few sprinkles. Here in Gulfport, which is the tip of the peninsula on which St. Petersburg lies, our house happens to be on one of the highest points in the town.  We're not even in an evacuation zone, and we're only 2 miles from water.  So most of the time we get the winds blowing water under our doors, tree limbs down (one tree came down a few years ago - we think a tornado took it, but we didn't hear anything), but not much worse than that.  The park across the street has a large pond that has to fill before we'd get any flooding, and it would overflow in the opposite direction of our house and back up before we'd have a problem.  Short story long, all's well with the Boyettes.  The cats were spooked half to death for a couple of days.  Scooter disappeared and we still don't know where he was hiding - but he's back out and seems fine.  They really sense when the weather's nasty, especially the winds.  And there were a couple of very loud booms - probably power grid explosions.  

Thanks so much for your concern.  I'm happy to report that we came through the storm just fine.  I'm just terribly sad that so many other people didn't do so well.

Margie, I just don't have words to tell you how much your call meant to me. I'll get all weepy if I try.

Bless
GK

What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

Candice

Have boat must travel.  Glenna, I'm thankful that you all were safe.   :hug:
Candice

Pat

Thank goodness you are okay Glenna  :hug:

Pat
Pat

"Take a deep breath and think of the three things you are grateful for, right in this moment."  -MJ Ryan Author

Mhayes

GK, I don't have words to express how relieved I was to hear your voice and know that you and IM were safe.

Margie

P.S. And the furballs too!
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

kiska

kiska
Photoshop 2021, MacPro