• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Thoughts with Craig, Tess, and Family

Started by Mhayes, June 10, 2012, 11:59:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tess (Tassie D)

Margie, Mum & Dad had to go home 5 days ago unfortunately. Prior appointments that couldn't be changed. Still they video called us at the hospital yesterday and got to see and hear Craig.
I keep forgetting that I've had 2 weeks to deal with this and talk to social workers about all the emotions but Craig has only been aware of it for the last 3 days and even then he still had what they call ICU hangover from all the meds. I'm expecting many of the same reactions from him as I've already had.
Tess Cameron
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

glennab

Wow, Tess, those of us who haven't been through such a traumatic event don't realize that the person who's been injured doesn't have to cope with the situation until they're conscious and able to deal with what's happened to them.  It must have been quite a shock for Craig. While you've been worried all this time, he's had no idea of his condition.  I hope he's able to handle it and allow himself to heal before he gets too ambitious.  I'm sure he'll be anxious to get home.

Will anyone be there to help you once he gets home?  Will he need any special care because of the burns?

As always, prayers and angels - and today I think it'll be air ice cream heading your way.

Bless

GK
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

Tess (Tassie D)

lol Glenna, we love ice cream.
I can handle most of his needs myself. There will be a shower chair waiting when we get home and a hot meal from our neighbour. Apparently the lawn has been mowed and gardening done by someone.
The local hospital less than a mile away can do the dressings, I could too but they want to keep an eye out for infections.
Once the grafts are healed he will have to have pressure bandages and physio. One step at a time.
Tess Cameron
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Hannie

Tess, I hope all went well today and that you're all back home!

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Tess (Tassie D)

Well we aren't home but he is sleeping in the bed behind me here at the hotel, snoring away. I ordered a steak, chips & salad for him and he managed to eat half of it and have a couple of beers with the painkillers.

By the time the hospital finished stuffing around it was after 5pm so way too late to drive home. Rang the hotel and said, one more night please. After dinner he came outside for a few minutes but got very tired. So back to the room so I could rebandage him. The bandages were falling off literally. They dont teach the younger ones how to bandage thats for sure.

We are supposed to come back in a week for a checkup but our GP will have a word about that as not much will change, the grafts look good. He could probably do a video feed to save us a trip.
I am looking forward to snuggling up to him tonight, been too long.
Tess Cameron
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

G3User

Steak and chips sound like the second best medicine he could have.

Sleep well

Athol

Mhayes

Tess, that is the best news yet! It must have felt like heaven to Craig to get out of the hospital and to top it off with a great meal and a beer. It's great the grafts are looking good and I bet Craig will appreciate that you made that decision.

Here's hoping for a speedy recovery for Craig and some down time to relax for you. I think coming back home will be the best medicine for all of you!

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Bambi

Hannie

Tess, so glad to hear the grafts look good!  Hope you had a good trip back home and both of you will get some well deserved rest.
It would be a pain to have to go back to Melbourne so soon for a check up.
That would just mean more work for you having to redo the bandaging.  ;)

If all goes well I'm sure your GP can handle things for a while. 

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Tess (Tassie D)

We are home finally. It is now 10pm and have just sat down for a coffee and turned the computer on. At least a neighbour arrived with a huge meat pasta bake and a potato bake, enough to feed an army, so I didn't have to cook tonight.

Craig is doing well except for where they harvested the skin from his leg, its hurting worse than the burns.
I just finished doing all the dressings as the home nurse doesn't start until he has seen our GP for the first dressings. The grafts are looking excellent and have taken well. Several glasses of red and a few very strong painkillers had him smiling through the dressings lol.

I'm exhausted. He's feeling guilty because I'm spending most of the day helping him. I said I'd much rather that than not having you at all!

Thank you all for the wishes and prayers, they worked.
Tess Cameron
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Mhayes

Tess, what a relief it must be to be home. I know it won't be easy until Craig's heals, but everyday should bring improvements and less pain.

What a sweetheart of a neighbor!

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

glennab

Tess:  Home at last!  It has to feel so wonderful.  And what an awesome neighbor you have to ply you with all that food, so you don't have to worry about that for a while.  Now you can start on the road to a normal life again.  Hugs to you and Craig.

GK
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

Candice

Nothing like a good old fashioned homecoming to make a day grand!!  :up2: :up2:
Candice

Pat

It's good to learn that you are home and Craig healing so well.  Be careful, it's going to be easy to overdo.  Thank goodness for such wonderful neighbors!

Pat
Pat

"Take a deep breath and think of the three things you are grateful for, right in this moment."  -MJ Ryan Author

Tess (Tassie D)

It is so good to be home lol. I didn't need to do the dressings today as the district nurse will come to the house every morning until he doesn't need them anymore.
It was a bit more back to normal, sitting out in the winter sun together enjoying a coffee and waving to friends as they drove past.
Back to Melbourne on Sunday for the outpatient appointment Monday morning and then hopefully no more for quite a while.
Tess Cameron
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]