• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

PhotoShop CS6

Started by Mhayes, May 31, 2012, 10:45:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mhayes

Hi Everyone,

How many of you are considering upgrading to PS CS6? 

For some reason I can't get too excited about it and maybe part of it was the way Adobe has changedthe rules for upgrading.  Adobe has also made it so that if you upgrade to Lightroom CS4 (hope that's the right number) you will need to upgrade to PS CS6 to have the two work seamless together.

For anyone who is on CS6, what are your thoughts?

Thanks,

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Hannie

Margie, from what I can tell there really is not much new in CS6 other then a changed interface.  Not sure if I will like the new desktop color.  I don't think it will be worth the money for me to upgrade.

To say I am not impressed by Adobe's new (greedy) upgrading rules would be an understatement.

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

kiska

I only upgrade on the odd years. I have 5 now.
kiska
Photoshop 2021, MacPro

Mhayes

Here are some interesting links about PhotoShop CS6:

http://psd.tutsplus.com/articles/news/first-look-at-photoshop-cs6/  (Beta preview)

http://www.photoshopuser.com/cs6/cs6upgrade

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1018&message=41506368&changemode=1

Hannie, by looking at the new interface it looks totally different and I wonder if it would be so confusing trying to show how to do something with screen prints if most of the volunteers have previous editions. As it is now, yes, there are some changes in CS5 that earlier versions don't have, but you would be able to do most of it. An example of that is Katrin Eismann's book Photoshop Restoration & Retouching.

Kiska, you are not going to be able to do that any more. Adobe backed off and will let those with couple of versions back upgrade to CS6. However, in the future if you have CS5 and then CS7 comes out, guess what? You are not going to be able to upgrade without first buying CS6.

I think if I was a graphic designer I would be forced to keep up with the latest revisions and if I had a business perhaps the subscription thing might be appealing, but for now this may be the end of the line for me upgrading.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

glennab

Margie, I'm with you.  I'm in several Photoshop groups on Facebook, and it seems as if most of the new version is primarily for photographers, because the discussions are usually about Photoshop AND Lightroom.  There are a few upgrades to content aware, but I didn't find them impressive enough to make me want to spend the extra money for CS6.  Since IM and I are retired and on a fixed income, I suspect this is the end of the line for me with Photoshop upgrades, too.

I only hope that Adobe doesn't conspire with Apple to make the older Operating Systems incompatible with software like Acrobat and other necessary software.  I've already run into my automatic upgrade notice advising me that some upgrades won't be compatible with my "old" operating system (I'm running Snow Leopard). Fortunately, my son the techie can keep me as updated as possible with the Operating System - until my version of Photoshop is no longer compatible with that.

I suspect it won't be long before our only option if we want to upgrade will be to lease the software at a monthly fee (right now it's $49). Hannie, I think you're right.  Greed is the key to what's happening, and it won't be long until only high-end photographers and businesses will be able to afford to upgrade.

GK
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

Tori803

The new feature I was interested in was the 'un-blur' filter, but I can't afford to upgrade right now. If Photoshop becomes too difficult to keep up with, I guess I'll be trying out other software.

Tori
Tori
"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence." -Calvin Coolidge

Bambi

I have Photoshop CS6, but I only got it because it came with InDesign CS6 which I need for books and ebooks. I am using PS CS6 and I agree, it's not worth the money to upgrade. InDesign, on the other hand, is a must-have upgrade.

Hannie, you can change the color of the background. Adobe always shows it as black, but you can make it other shades of gray, including the old familiar light gray. The tools and menus are pretty much the same. I think you could probably do everything the way you always have in CS6 and never use the new features. The newer Content Aware features work a little bit better than in CS5, but hardly worth the money for the upgrade

Bambi

G3User

I suspect I will remain a CS3 user and stick with Windows XP as long as I can.

Given our $s are similar in value, a purchase of CS6 here is $969 compared with a list US price of $669. And the $969 price is for a download, obviously it must be hard to push it down the internet connection.

Athol

Mhayes

Athol,

The price you are listing would be new rather than an upgrade? I'm thinking Adobe would still let you have 3 upgrades before the cutoff after CS6? Of course the kicker is that you could get in the situation I did with CS5. I found out that it wouldb't work with Windows XP and that I didn't needed to upgrade my computer to handle the software. I did that and then my Adobe Illustrator CS 2 wouldn't work. Plus, I even had Freehand that Adobe took over from Macromedia so they could kill it and make Illustrator the choice. You got to just love Adobe  :mad: :mad: :knuppel: :knuppel:  :-X

Maybe I could get it for you at $869 and ship it to you? Of course I would have to have it prepaid--no checks and preferably by Pay Pal. It's the least I could do for a friend.  :hug:

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

G3User

Margie, seems like that is the game these days. If they can't get you one way they will in another. I am probably only using 30% of CS3, as fast as I learn something new I seem to forget something else.

Re your kind and generous offer, it reminds me of an offer I had from a "friend" in Mongolia and the disaster that turned out to be. I might have fallen for it once and be a slow learner so  Thanks but No Thanks ;)

Athol

Mhayes

Athol, don't forget all the authors doing books---wouldn't want to see their sales diminish would we?

All kidding aside, if you should ever wanted an upgrade, could you buy it from someone in the U.S or does Adobe has special requirements for software outside?

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

G3User

Maybe I should write a book????

I gather it can be messy to purchase from some US web sites. Some won't ship to Australia so there are now locations in the US where goods can be shipped to and eventually reshipped to Oz.
Some won't accept payment on Australian credit cards. We have a 10% national tax which is applied to most purchases here so if goods are purchased OS then the tax is avoided, presumably the Tax Office are not happy about this . If there is an Australian agent I suspect the Parent company would restrict direct sales from OS.

As I said, me and CS3 look like having a long association with food, drink and wood for the fire a higher priority

Thanks for the thought

Athol

Athol

Mhayes

Athol,

If you ever change your mind, let me know and I will see if I can ship it to you at the U.S. price.

I doubt that I will be upgrading from CS5 as it fits my needs and I don't like being forced to buy each new upgrade to avoid paying a larger amount later.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Tess (Tassie D)

Athol I had a look and you can download the CS6 upgrade for $307.
Tess Cameron
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

G3User

Thanks Tess, appreciate the offer very much Margie.

This really only cropped up when I tried Jonas' action. We have had a few house repairs and painting so the budget is a bit stretched at present. I will probably think about it nearer my birthday at the end of the year.

Athol