• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Fighting Wind & Water

Started by Atlantis, January 05, 2012, 05:58:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Atlantis

The past weeks we had lots of rain & wind which caused rising water levels in our Delta aka The Netherlands. Today some dykes were either broken on purpose to spread the waters in special area's but other dykes broke because they were instable. We have lots of special waterworks that are set to do their job today like the balgstuw (you can google this word for pics as linking did not work).  People are being evacuated in some area's but things are not nearly as bad as I have seen in recent places where OPR stepped in to help. Still it's impressive what a combination of water & wind can do.
I did not take pics myself today, I do live close to an area where they spread the water by opening a dyke, but I did find a slideshow :
http://www.nu.nl/binnenland/2708535/water-stijgt-veel-sneller-dan-gedacht.html#slideshow-/slideshow/1887578/popup.htm
The only way to get better is to figure out what I did wrong.

Hannie

I'm keeping my fingers crossed Atlantis!
This one sure is a surprise to me (and everyone else I'm sure), hasn't been this bad as far as I can remember.
In the North it is also a precarious situation where the storm is blowing seawater back into the Lauwerszee and the rivers are getting really high...

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Mhayes

Atlantis, keep us posted and I hope things improve. Anyone looking at the link can hit the translate button on the upper right hand side on the tool bar. At first I didn't have a full screen and was a little lost except for the word "Museum." I hope they are able to get everything out of harms way.

Stay safe!

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Atlantis

This morning we woke up to the news that about 800 people are being evacuated because a dyke at the Eemskanaal has a weak spot near their homes. Another dutch link  : with pics & video. The lower parts of the Groningen Museum have been emptied as well. This museum was only recently restored, amongst the work was waterdamage from flooding in the late nineties. I live on a higher plateau so we are safe but we do notice our gardensoil is stuffed with water. There are pools in the back that are not normally there ;)
The only way to get better is to figure out what I did wrong.

Tess (Tassie D)

I hope it doesn't do too muh damage and the levels start dropping. Here is that link translated so you can click on any of the stories.

http://translate.google.com/translate?js=y&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&layout=1&eotf=1&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.rtvnoord.nl%2Fhome%2F&sl=auto&tl=en
Tess Cameron
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Pat

Thanks for the translated link Tess.

Hope things start improving Atlantis and all goes well for those that needed to be evacuated.

Pat
Pat

"Take a deep breath and think of the three things you are grateful for, right in this moment."  -MJ Ryan Author

lurch

What a mess, Atlantis! Hope things get better, but how do you get the ocean to subside?
<C>