• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

How 'Bout That Hair?

Started by glennab, November 27, 2011, 10:04:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

glennab

I have a question on damaged hair.  Has anyone tried using the mixed painting brushes to repair hair?  I have the worse time with hair, and I haven't tried the painting brushes yet.  So far I've only had to return one restoration because i couldn't repair the hair, but I hadn't thought of trying the painting techniques.  I was curious if there's any potential there.  I do okay if I can use the clone and patch tools, but sometimes they just don't do the job.  I'm wondering about other alternatives.  Hair is the absolute bane of my life.  Any suggestions would be so appreciated.

GK
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

Mhayes

Hi GK,

If you would go to the home page and under the "Portfolio" you will see "Tutorials" and there are two good links on how to do hair. http://www.operationphotorescue.org/portfolio/tutorials/

Hope that helps.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Bambi

Hi, Glenna:

Here's a new tutorial from Facebook using the Mixer Brush in CS5. Pretty exciting.

Bambi

http://psd.tutsplus.com/tutorials/painting/paint-realistic-hair/

Hannie

I have never been able to paint hair.  Done several tutorials but I get discouraged because it never looks like the example they show!  :mad:

Bambi, I haven't tried your link yet, looks interesting so I will give it a try.

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Theresa H

Character is what you are, reputation is what other people think you are

Bambi

All these hair painting techniques are great. The results are beautiful. But with restorations, you than have to match your beautiful hair painting to the saturation, texture and clarity of the original. that's the really tricky part. I you try different Blend Modes, Opacity, Noise and Saturation you can get a very close match. I'm still a little intimidated by it, but after watching these I'm dying to give it a try.

Bambi

glennab

Bambi, Margie and Theresa

Thanks for the great tutorials on hair.  More information to stash in my arsenal to try to overcome my hair-challenged abilities.  I'll have to look for the tutorial on creating the special brush for the paint blend method, because that's new with CS5.  I've tried and had some success with the method Theresa offered, depending on the type of hair and the damage.  The smudge tool has proven to be especially handy. It's one of those pwactice, pwactice, pwactice issues.  Sooner or later it's going to come to me.  I hope.

Cheers!

GK
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

Bambi

I had to do some hair painting recently and I discovered the new Brush palette in CS5. You used to have to create your own brushes and save them (big stumbling block for me). With CS5, you can not only create a brush, but change it with every stroke if you choose. I had good results with the Round Fan brush. Adjust the Size of the brush you want, the number of Bristles, Length  of stroke, Thickness and Stiffness of bristles and the Angle of the brush. (When you place your cursor over the layer, you can see the angle better.

You can have fewer bristles for wispy bangs, then switch to a fuller brush at a different angle for the pigtails! Also, the Mixer Brush in CS5 makes the Smudge tool seem like a blunt instrument by comparison. Even I can paint hair with CS5. (Not very well, but I'm learning.)

Bambi

tmhayle

Hello, sorry to necro post this thread but I have found this set of hair brushes to be wonderful and thought I would share.
http://para-vine.deviantart.com/art/Hair-brush-set-145384302
You can call me "T", who wants to write the whole thing out?

glennab

Hi T

That's one of the best sets of hair brushes I've seen yet. Russell Brown published a set, but I was never able to figure out a good way to use them.  I've spent a good portion of the last couple of days watching tutorial after tutorial about creating hair, as the restoration I'm working on now requires creating 3 heads of hair - all different - and I'm totally hair challenged.  I found a tutorial for making one's own brush and saved that, but having ready-made ones is even better. And these are very much like the make-your-own version.  Thanks so much for posting them.

Now if I could only remember how to use my tablet, the whole process would be so much easier!  (Said tablet has been stashed away for years to protect it from cat damage - until 3 years ago I had a pride of 11.  We're now down to 4 oldsters, and I don't think they're too interested in much besides getting their half and half in the morning and their crunchies and night - and napping in between. It may be safe to actually bring out the Wacom!  Whoo hoo!)

Cheers
GK

BTW, what is "necro post?"

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

tmhayle

hahaa I was just saying to myself I need to break out my old wacom after working on my 1st baby portrait to restore. I picked the most damaged so the fun of restoring wont end so soon. (insert eye roll) laughs I do enjoy the challenge in all seriousness. I remembered these brushes since my project is an african american baby and her sweet little tufts will have to be restored at the top. Unfortunately those wont do. I will just paint them in as if I was drawing rl.

as far as cats I errr feel your pain last night mine decided to attack me when he wanted to sleep and I assume I was in his way?

Necro-post= posting in a dead thread or one that hasn't been used in a long time. Just some forum fun on words.

Candice

Quote from: tmhayle on May 25, 2012, 04:29:21 PM
Hello, sorry to necro post this thread but I have found this set of hair brushes to be wonderful and thought I would share.
http://para-vine.deviantart.com/art/Hair-brush-set-145384302

I found a set a long while ago in Deviant art called LindaBrushes.   I really like what you've shared so have added it to my brush set.
Candice

glennab

T

After I asked the necro question, I thought that's what you meant.  I scrolled down and realized that we'd been discussing this for quite a while.

I joined LinkedIn about a year ago, and I've been directed to so many free brushes, patterns, textures, fonts - it's amazing how much free art is out there if you have time to hunt it down.  I download some of it - I have no idea why.  The only thing I do is photo restoration and a newsletter for Save Our Strays. I guess the pixel pusher who dies with the most photoshop plug-ins wins!????

All I can say about cats is that I could write several books! I've rescued about 75 in my long career as a sucker.  They have a web site.  Just to nail people like me.

GK

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

tmhayle

Oh the plug ins I downloaded and lost with computer crashes is insanity. Then I quietly thank god I don't have the mess any more.
Great job on the rescues!

Glad to help, klassylady25 !

glennab

T

I have a 650 external drive to which I save all of my plug ins.  Heaven knows if I could find a particular one if I needed it.  I keep telling myself that I'll organize my folders one of these days.  Yeah, when there are ice cubes on Satan's nose!  But I swear, I have some really great ones archived.  Really...

Well, the rescues have been awesome, and I've adored them all, but as they get old, they're freaking me out.  They're between 12 and 15, and they're not steady on their feet.  They fall, and they can't jump up on furniture the way they once could.  My beloved Scooter just fell off my computer desk onto the floor.  He kept sliding and sliding... next thing I knew I heard a thump and there he was, shaking his head and looking very perplexed. I lost 7 within 4 months about 3 years ago, and that just about killed me.  We don't know what caused it, but they would come to me and within about 20 minutes they'd expire in my arms.  Anyway... as I said, I could write books!  The 4 remainders are going to be really tough to lose.

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)