• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Bookmark Feature

Started by PhotoBob, September 13, 2011, 09:40:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PhotoBob

I see the great value in bookmarking all the great how-tos and tips on the board. Before I start, what's the most effective way to use to use the feature. I don't Facebook or Tweet. I couldn't help notice there's a ZILLION different services to pick from. Which one should I start out with?   :D

Thanks everybody!

PhotoBob
PhotoBob
"Every cat should come with his own instruction manual."  -- BP Collin

Mhayes

Hi PhotoBob,

Yes, bookmarking some of the great how-tos and tips is the way to go. Your browser should have a place where you can click "Add to Favorites." I would suggest making a folder for OPR and if you want you could do sub folders under that. That is what I do and it is easy to reference.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

schen

I don't use any application tool.  I drag the icon to the left of the URL to the desktop, then a link icon is created.  I then rename it to something meaningful and move it to a folder to keep.  This seems to work with MS IE and Firefox.

I used to rely on the Bookmarks of the browser but when I was force to use two different browser, it got complicated.  Carrying bookmarks to a different computer or when OS is upgraded is a hassle.  Copying a folder of links is so much easier.

Shujen
Shujen Chen
Windows 10, Photoshop CS6

Mike S.

Good day everyone,

I must confess currently, I just turn the tips into pdf's and post into a folder that I have setup for them.  Eventually I may have to adopt bookmarking or linking like Margie and Shujen.  What I do now is simple and works.
Mike S.

schen

Mike,

Keeping your own local pdf copy is a good idea as Internet is such a volatile place, links break all the time.

Shujen
Shujen Chen

PhotoBob

I just knew I shouldn't start blindly bookmarking. I'm no stranger to pdf, I might give that a go. Thanks everyone for the good ideas. Now I know I'm starting on the right foot.

Bob
PhotoBob

Hannie

Bob, I've created a 'data' directory (on 2nd hard drive)where I have all data - email, addresses, favorites, pictures, videos, documents, etc. This way I have a single backup location.

It is also easy to move any of the files to a new computer.  What I like best is that I can now make an image of my C drive as a back up without having to worry about losing data.

To change the default location of these folders depends on what operating system you use.
To change the location of favorites.  (in Windows XP you can just cut and paste the folder to your new location) 

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

schen

I have all my data on my second hard drive and mirror it to the third hard drive for backup.  I thought I have everything nicely backed up but I still occasionally missed a few files.

A few weeks back, I could not boot my computer.  I thought I would take out a data hard drive and work on the other computer.  Then I realized that none of my other computers take SATA.
Shujen Chen

Tess (Tassie D)

Ah don't talk backups, I haven't done this computer yet. I keep meaning to get a 3rd hd to put in it but haven't gotten round to it yet. This one has 2 hd's but they are a raid array so no good for stand alone backup.

I have my favourites all in the browser and occasionally I email them to my gmail as a backup in case something breaks.
Tess Cameron
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

PhotoBob

OH Schen!! USB2 External for the win  :up:   I have 2 matching 500 GB Seagate E-SATA internal drives, one for Operating system & software, the other for data. (several partitions involved) I also have two external Seagate 2TB USB2 drives that I alternate backups on. Did you know that Best Buy is giving them away now for $90   :wow: :wow:

Tess, I do backups mostly for DAM  (Digital Asset Management system) I have about 25,000 photos key worded and categorized in a database and I sure don't want to loose all that work!

Thanks again for all the advice.

PhotoBob
PhotoBob

schen

Photobob,

Good idea, I should go get an external USB drive for backup so that I can restore the files in any computer without worrying about the internal connections.

Shujen
Shujen Chen

Mike S.

I think Photobob has it, I also have USB backups on all of our computers.  Like Photobob, 2 on the main network computer that holds all the photographs.   Redundant backup is the way to go especially with everything digital.

Mike
Mike S.

Tori803

For tips and tutorials I would like to keep track of, I just copy and paste into a Word document and name it for the problem it addresses (like 'Remove texture w/FFT'). I save it in a folder where named Tutorials where I keep my OPR wip.

Tori
Tori
"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence." -Calvin Coolidge