• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Comments in Progress?

Started by Bambi, July 30, 2011, 09:08:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

david_gr

Hannie, Thanks for the advice.  You make it look so easy.  Like I said before I am taking this one on as a learning experience. I will give it a shot.

Bambi, Interesting bit of information about the photo.  I never thought to look up info on the people we do restorations for.

David Gr  :)

Bambi

I lived in Tennessee and used to watch NBC News. His father published The Tennessean in Nashville and was founding editor of USA Today.

Judy

Hannie,

I love your solution, and when I take your pictures, with the amazing consistency of computers I come out with the same look as your final.

However, I am not sure how you get your color one from the WIP that was posted.  You said not to play with the damaged area, but I still have a tie dye effect on the shirt that when I post the blue channel comes through loud and clear.  The trick seems to be converting that pink to white but that is the damaged area so I didn't do anything.  Please explain how you got that color as what you did was magical (though you did do an awful lot of work on the blue channel it seems).

Thanks!

Judy

Hannie

Judy, I used the original and did just a basic levels correction in each channel R, G and B.

Then, Curves black dropper on men's belt; white dropper on window post.
Curves grey dropper I don't remember exactly where, probably roof area

Then a color layer and I kept sampling from the undamaged colors to fill in the yellow and orange stains.  Don't worry if it looks weird or makes areas turn white or grey instead of the color you had in mind (middle photo above).  Once the luminosity layer is pasted on top it all falls into place.

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Judy

Thanks Hannie,

You had said "don't worry about the damage" and I took that literally.  I didn't see why you needed a color layer on that particular picture, so didn't do that step .  So, I had the levels and curves and then directly tried the blue channel paste and that doesn't work.  It is sort of mystifying to me how well the other works in fact, though mine wasn't as good as yours as I painted too generally and not just in the spots that needed it.  What an amazing technique -- thanks so much.

I hope my question helps others as much as it did me!

Judy

Mhayes

Judy,

QuoteYou had said "don't worry about the damage" and I took that literally.

That would be the fondest wish of every volunteer, but not going to happen.  :funny:

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

david_gr

Hannie,

Please take back this photo and give it to someone able to do it.  It is more than I can handle and the family deserves a better restoration than I can provide.  I am glad I tried.  I learned a lot and which was my purpose in trying.

Thanks for your help with this.

David Gr

happyheart

Hannie,
Could I get a little more explanation?....I understand working the Blue channel (or best channel) as a B/W.  You then say "Use a color layer to repair the WIP".  Are you using the color corrected original as a top layer above the B/W you've corrected?  If so, is the blend set to "Color"?  Then you say, "Paste B/W layer...." (luminosity mode).  Are you basically ending up with a "sandwitch" of B/W on top in lminosity, Color corrected color in color blend mode in the middle, and the original corrected B/W in normal mode on the bottom?

I really want to understand this, because your way sure looks like it's effective for getting rid of all that water streaking!

Thanks.
If it's artsy or Photoshop, I'll give it a try!
aka Betty

happyheart

Hannie,
I guess I didn't read far enough.  I see above that by Color layer, you mean a layer where you have painted the corrected colors over the damage.  Is the blend mode on that layer set to 'color' or 'normal'?  I'm guessing 'Color'.
aka Betty

Hannie

David, I somehow missed your post!  I will re list your photo, no problem at all.

Betty, you figured it out yourself already.  Yes a layer set in color mode over your WIP and then paint back damaged color.  That is the point where I said don't worry about any damage.  The B/W layer that you paste on afterwards (in luminosity mode) will take care of the damage.

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

happyheart

This technique is fantastic!  :loveit:  Thank you so much Hannie!  I just used it on my latest photo and boy what a difference.  It's a little like doing the photo twice, but it's a great way to seperate the color problem from the texture problems.  I'll be using it a lot!
Thanks again.  :wnw:
aka Betty